My internet connection breaks off intermittently while using utorrent

evil mime

I'm connected wirelessly to a motorola sbg900 modem in my bros room. When using utorrent, my connection kinda goes haywire every 30 seconds and everything BUT utorrent can't connect to the internet. I have to disconnect and reconnect my wireless adapter before I can access the net with anything other than utorrent. This problem only occurs when bittorent in running and d/l stuff...so somethings up. If it helps, about 3 times over the 1 day period that i've been having this issue Norton will say it has blocked an intrusion, and when i look at details it's an intrusion on my computer FROM my computer, more specifically from the port that utorrent is set to.

okay, none of that worked. I'm not very tech savvy at all, but I think it might have something to do with the static ip address. I could never get it to work, even after following the instructions here http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

I would plug in all the info, but my computer wouldn't connect...

# Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

green, with a checkmark in the middle

# What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 52754 on 206.255.206.232...

OK! Port 52754 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

# What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Connectiong type: xx/384k

Upload Limit: 35kB/s

Upload Slots: 4

Upload Connections: 80

Max active torrents: 3

Max active dowloads: 2

Port: 52754

Encryption enabled

# What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

# Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

XP

# Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Norton System Works/AntiVirus

# Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Router: Motorola SBG900

Modem: Closest thing i'm using is a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter

# ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Cable Lynx

If I'm missing something completely obvious, sorry, I'm not very tech-minded ^.^

WIRELESS >< You may need to lower it even more... And I think you got confused by those things there... the wireless dongle is ... uhm like your NIC. That it connects to a wireless modem makes me think you're using a modem+router. Verifying http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG900/Utorrent.htm says YUP it is. routers allow port forwarding :) Modems which don't have routers just pass packets, they have no flow control.

So overall, limit your connections even more, maybe 10 per torrent and 25 total. See if it works then. If yes, it's an overload on your wireless. One way to verify it's the wireless.. can you connect to your SBG with a wired/ethernet connection? If it works as-is without settings, the wifi aint too hot in your area.. probably due to interference. Please report back with ideas / results :D

can't test a direct connection atm, but I lowered the connections per torrent and global connections to 8 and 20 overall and it still failed. I got on the router and looked at the gateway log, says this, but I don't really have a clue if it is relevant or not, it just looks like something might be wrong ^.^

2008-01-25 04:08:26 5-Warning CAP unable to make C-NAPT mapping. No WAN IP address available

Try continue lowering the resources uT uses, have you disabled the features mentioned in the How-To post #2? >< is right... either you have subpar hardware, a subpar ISP, or a flaky net adapter... or worse yet a combination :(

It's all trial and error to get this. . . subquestion, is NIS the same as NSW? http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=7862 includes configurations for software firewalls :/ Try that and I'm hopeing for the best :D

• 1 month later...

Archived