Change IP on the fly or automaticaly

Detach

Hello I am new here and this is my very first post. I've been using torrents for a while now and have run into a problem with IP adresses. At home i have my static IP with port forwarding set up at home. It works great until i have to go to school with my laptop. To use the free wi-fi at my school i have to go in and switch from static IP to automatically assign IP. I've always had a desk top and therefor never had this problem. To get to the point already, Is there a setting, program, or a little switch that i can flip that will change the settings automatically for the two connections? I hope you understand what i'm asking for. It's not a big probem, just an annoying one. Thank you for your help and sorry for the long winded post.

I'm running Vista and the latest version of utorrent if that matters

On your home router, do you have the option of assigning or reserving a DHCP IP address to particular MAC addresses?

Or, on your home router, do you have UPnP as an available feature?

Either way would solve your problem and you wouldn't have to use a static IP anymore.

If neither of those are available, then look into the "netsh.exe" command. You can create 2 batch files -- one that sets a static IP and a static DNS ... and the other that sets it back to DHCP for IP and DNS. Put both batch files on your desktop and just activate whichever one you need.

Archived