Unable to get torrents, unsure of issue

SonOfBhaal

I'll be the first to admit I have minimal experience with torrents, so please treat me like the noob that I am.

Basically, the problem is I can't open any new torrents. I can't download torrents off any sites, and when I try to directly input the torrent url into utorrent, it says it's offline/timed out. However, my existing torrents are still working - I can upload and download, I just can't acquire any new torrent files. Thus far I'm thinking it's an issue with the router firewall or an issue of blocked ports. Anyone know anything helpful?

Err... is your browsing experience impacted at all? Unable to contact tracker/index sites indicates an overloaded connection. If you try lowering your upload limit by 10% does that help? I don't expect your firewall is to blame if it is a new problem... unless you have "security software" which also blocks downloading of certain filetypes. Which browser are you using, and are you using right click save as or click and open with?

I'm using firefox at the moment. As far as I can tell my browsing is the same as it's always been, it's just when I hit "Download Torrent", the page tries to load but never goes anywhere as if it's a t/o. I've tried both save as and just straight opening, both give me the same issue.

That security software sounds likely to me. But would that stop it if I tried the get torrent from URL option in utorrent?

Does this happen with all sites you use? To answer: it depends on how pervasive the security software is. Please note that only DIRECT links to torrents are supported in Ctrl-U or RSS. That's why many sites don't work internally with uT, because there are no hacks / plugins to get the torrent out of HTML links.

Checking Bad ISPs may enlighten you as to whether or not your ISP actively BLOCKS torrent downloads. In that event you will have to try a magnet: or alternate link (.txt or other file). uT 1.7 does not support magnet: links, but 1.8 does. However due to the limited rollout currently it is much easier to find an alternate download method.

Archived