uTorrent sometimes makes connections even when I have no torrent on

Kiwi

I have a similar problem, although slightly different. After being FORCED to switch to 1.7.6 (i was using 1.6.1 build 482), torrents that aren't running (stopped) and have been inactive for weeks, are now constantly updateing the trackers. This never happened before with 1.6.1 build 482. Why are torrents that have been stopped for weeks, all of the sudden constantly updateing the trackers?

I believe whether the connections use cpu cycles should not be a factor. The more important thing to worry about is the security. Why are there continuous connections even when there is no torrent in the list (that is, not even a torrent that is put on pause mode)?

Well, i think the point is this: These "constant" hit-you-up's were never present until going to 1.7.6. Trust me on this, cause like my client is open nearly 24/7/365. This "activity" did not show itself until I upgraded today. And honestly, if this "activity" does not get stopped/fixed ASAP, I and many others, on their own accord and by suggestions from others, will be giving utorrent the mighty finger and will no longer be recommending this software, since this does pose a problem. You can say this is no problem, but yeah, think about it long and hard, this is an issue.

These "constant" hit-you-up's were never present until going to 1.7.6. Trust me on this, cause like my client is open nearly 24/7/365.

You're confusing incoming connections with your "problem".

This "activity" did not show itself until I upgraded today.

And what version were you using before?

And honestly, if this "activity" does not get stopped/fixed ASAP, I and many others, on their own accord and by suggestions from others, will be giving utorrent the mighty finger and will no longer be recommending this software, since this does pose a problem.

The activity Firon is referring to is about 7566645% unavoidable in bittorrent clients right now.

The action of cycling through the tracker lists on the general tab is NOT an indicator of actual connections taking place.

Learn to wireshark.

He posted http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=300725#p300725 ... which in itself is odd, --- 2006-07-01: Version 1.6 (build 473). I only remember 488 and 489 being put out before --- 2007-02-13: Version 1.6.1 (build 490).

Seriously, stifle. You have not provided any "proof" of communication. Hey, you want to change the GUI, go to Ctrl-P -> Advanced gui.update_rate and change it. As specified in the µManual time is in milliseconds, and will not go below 500.

Can you gone through my post to guide you through the process of rule-setting with your ... security application/device? (I'm not even going to comment on your username)

He posted http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php … 25#p300725 ... which in itself is odd, --- 2006-07-01: Version 1.6 (build 473). I only remember 488 and 489 being put out before --- 2007-02-13: Version 1.6.1 (build 490).

Not sure of the dates a.t.m. but, that is the build i have been using for a long time. I was using 1.6.1 build 479 before, but I have misplaced that build and it is gone forever from the back-ups.

Seriously, stifle. You have not provided any "proof" of communication. Hey, you want to change the GUI, go to Ctrl-P -> Advanced gui.update_rate and change it. As specified in the µManual time is in milliseconds, and will not go below 500.

I am not trying to prove there is actual communications. I just noticed something utorrent doing on this new build, that I did not see happening before I updated. I found this thread, because it was the only thread I could find with anything related to what I was witnessing. So the torrents are not making active connections to the trackers. I fully understand this, and I am not contesting that now. Also, thank you for the tip pointing to the gui.update_rate. But, I did not see an option to disable the cycling of the trackers while the torrent is "stopped". That tip helps for some situations, though.

Can you gone through my post to guide you through the process of rule-setting with your ... security application/device?

I don't feel that is necessary considering my only purpose for being on this thread is the cycling of the trackers for stopped torrents on the new build, verses 1.6.1 build 482.

(I'm not even going to comment on your username)

Good call. My user name has nothing to do with this discussion on this thread. To comment on one's user name, and if not in praise, would show one's character to be one of hostility, aggression and malcontent. Certainly not characteristics of some one who is here to help. Hats off to you.

Anywho. Now that I know what everything is really doing, I shall leave you all to your forum. Which, in my opinion really needs some work. Typing twelve completely different replies, and every single one, when submitted, went to a screen talking about "don't double post". Spent an hour trying to type a response way earlier, but i gave up. but this comment will probably be a "don't duplicate post" as well. but oh well. copy/paste ftw.

*clicks submit and crosses fingers*

Cycling of trackers has nothing to do with connections being made.

If the connections you see are UDP, that is DHT, which is always active (unless you disable DHT).

If they're incoming connections, THAT IS NOT NEW. It happens with ALL torrent applications and all versions, because other clients cache your IP:port.

Archived