uTorrent sometimes makes connections even when I have no torrent on

Kiwi

Don't double post is a message to reduce forum spam, and encourage usage of the Edit function.

I was not double posting. I tried to make one reply, but the forum engine told me not to double post and to edit my post. which i did. 12 times. each time something completely different was written. still, "don't double post and edit comment" was all that was achieved. every single time.

Indeed, are there other questions you have about the interface not covered in the µManual?

Yes there is one question. When will the option to separate "stopped" torrent announce cycling from pause and active torrent tracker announce cycling? Less cpu cycles running is "green" thinking. And if you have hundreds or thousands of torrents loaded into the client, with multiple trackers, and they are constantly cycling, that ends up eating up a fair amount of cpu cycles. So, having the option to disable tracker cycles for stopped torrents, would be nice for the people who are used to that, or would like the ability to choose on their own.

Cycling of trackers has nothing to do with connections being made.

- I already covered that subject:

I fully understand this, and I am not contesting that now.
If the connections you see are UDP, that is DHT, which is always active (unless you disable DHT).

Irrelevant if udp announce or http announce. Cycling of the multiple trackers is what is relevant.

If they're incoming connections, THAT IS NOT NEW. It happens with ALL torrent applications and all versions, because other clients cache your IP:port.

Again, I already covered that part of the subject. (See above, first response to Firon quote, in this post).

Another strange thing is, why is it that even after I have made changes to a port that I use (say from 50001 to 60001), my firewall still reports outgoing connections being made on 50001 by uTorrent even after say 2 hours?

@ Kiwi: You'd have to check netstat to make sure you're binding to that port (Personally I use TCPView from sysinternals which is merely a GUI for that tool). uT only uses one port for incoming and outgoing connections unless you override the Advanced net. settings.

Re: Double posting. If your post is the last in the thread, and you try to post again you cannot do that. That is why it recommends to use the edit function until someone replies to the thread.

Yes there is one question. When will the option to separate "stopped" torrent announce cycling from pause and active torrent tracker announce cycling? Less cpu cycles running is "green" thinking. And if you have hundreds or thousands of torrents loaded into the client, with multiple trackers, and they are constantly cycling, that ends up eating up a fair amount of cpu cycles. So, having the option to disable tracker cycles for stopped torrents, would be nice for the people who are used to that, or would like the ability to choose on their own.

Stopped torrents don't announce. They scrape if Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> bt.scrape_stopped is set TRUE. I don't know what you're talking about still. The client only announces to trackers when the timer hits 0 or when the user overrides by manually announcing. The "flashing" of trackers in the General tab in 1.7 is a way to show the multiple tiers of trackers in a small space. In 1.8 trackers have their own tab where all of this information is displayed simultaneously. AGAIN: Ctrl-P -> Advanced gui.update_rate is the refresh rate of the uT GUI. If you don't like it using up so many CPU cycles on older comuters raise the value there (represented in milliseconds).

uT doesn't handle UDP trackers... like, at all.

If you'd like to post something new please be sure to post it in a clear and concise form.

Archived