1.7.6 with Google Desktop

Mike KPM

With version 1.7.5 I had the problem that is mention in FAQ (question #1.4). I still don't know how to "turn off the diskio.flush_files" but under utorrent's preference section, clicking on advanced, I then found the diskio.flush_files and I just reversed the default (made the value "true"); if that's what you mean in terms of turning off these files then please lay it out exactly on the FAQ! Anyway, that fixed my problem which was my downloads kept on being disconnected every 30 to 90 seconds.

I upgraded to 1.7.6 and despite setting the diskio.flush_files value to true, my downloads still kept on being constantly disconnected! So I don't know if this is a bug but I downgraded back to 1.7.5 and I'm not having any problems!

So please look into this for yourselves (install Google Desktop and run a computer with utorrent 1.7.6) and post a solution if there is one, otherwise you'll have to repair utorrent in the next version.

Thank you.

Firon:

1) I don't think it's a coincidence, it's consistent meaning that when I use 1.7.5 after changing the default value of the diskio.flush_files, my downloads never disconnect! That's not a coincidence, something must have been written in 1.7.6 that despite changing the default value of the diskio.flush_files, it still consistently disconnects my downloads in progress.

2) Are you just a user or are you a programmer from utorrent? Because I'm telling the programmers of this software to try running both 1.7.5 & 1.7.6 separately with Google Desktop and see if I'm right. If so, they need to correct this bug!

3) Finally, I still haven't got an answer to my question regarding how do you turn off the diskio.flush_files? Please don't tell me to read the FAQ because it doesn't expand the instructions beyond telling the user to turn off these files! So again what exactly does it mean to turn off the diskio.flush_files and how do you do it?

... It's in the FAQ, until Google updates their app there will always be a problem with GDS on some computers with some people's setups. To turn off the Advanced preferences set the option to FALSE/OFF/0. If you're unsure whether the setting TOOK, close uT, and restart it. As I understand it, flush files is to fix some old handles bug... which afaik is fixed now in uT. The side effect of that is programs which do NOT close handles correctly when running will quickly bloat with handle references and may cause uT to crash.

jewelisheaven

1) I appreciate the response

2) Regarding turn off the diskio.flush_files, that's an old wives' tale that utorrent will quickly bloat and might crash! I've been using high speed Internet for 1.5 years now and on average I'm running 4 torrents at once--utorrent has never crashed on me yet! At times I've run 6 or even 8 torrents and still utorrent hasn't crashed on me by turning off thediskio.flush_files! Also looking at my Windows Task Manager (press Alt & Crtl & Delete) under the Processes tab I don't see utorrent expand by that much. So approximately what percentage do the diskio.flush_files keep utorrent running at a smaller RAM rate opposed to keeping the diskio.flush_files off?

3) So once again that brings me to my point of my original post which is 1.7.6 constantly causes my torrents to disconnect under the exact same settings and conditions as running 1.7.5, so is there a bug in the code?

You're talking about TWO separate issues. The ONLY difference diskio.flush_files makes is in Process Explorer, or any similarly helpful program which monitors programs files / handles / resource usage is you will see (under Ctrl-H mode in procexp) is that the FILES opened by uT will close and re-open every minute when flush_files is active.

Please don't refer to file locking as a "disconnect". It connotes a more general problem of people overloading their connection with active peer connections and services which overload their hardware or trigger ISP countermeasures to interfere with filesharing. You can see yourself WHAT is causing the problem while in Handle mode in Process Explorer. Click on google desktop and enable the "file sharing flags" column; I find it easiest to sort so that RW- is on-top. You will see uT opens files in READ-WRITE mode. It's as Firon says: GDS also does this however it marks the file as locked, or open for exclusive-usage.

jewelisheaven

1) Ctrl-H does nothing for my computer; I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002, if you're using Vista maybe Crtl-H does something.

2) Regarding you're explanation about not referring to "disconnect", OK then utorrent 1.7.6 consistently dropped my connection. Meaning every 30 to 90 seconds my torrents would drop the connection and I would have to press start. Then it would drop the connection over & over again.

3) Your explanation regarding referring to "disconnecting" is irrelevant in my situation because I'm using private torrents; I shut of DHT & peer exchange so it's impossible for me to overload my connections. Thus that cannot be the reason why 1.7.6 keeps dropping my connection every 30 to 90 seconds.

4) Finally, I haven't a clue what you're talking about regarding enabling "file sharing flags" column in Google Desktop. I have version 5.1.706.29690 and there's nothing in the Preferences section like that other than under the Google Account Feature there's the option called Search Across Computers; I have that feature disabled! I don't want my computer to be link to outside computers so that strangers have access to my files! Anyway this subject is completely off topic of why utorrent 1.7.6 drops my connections (having Google Desktop on) while using the exact settings utorrent 1.7.5 doesn't do that.

OOOO! I was imprecise before sorry. I am talking about in Process Explorer. Ctrl-H, when showing the lower pane, switches from DLL mode to Handles mode; Ctrl-D does the reverse.

Overloading your connection due to too many connections is applicable to ALL versions of uT. Many ISPs have countermeasures which trigger on either connections-based or bandwidth-based rules and throttle the connection when those cases are met.

You are having neither connection based problem however since uT does not drop the connection. uT shows the ERROR when it does not have access to the files. Since it DOES happen consistently with Google Desktop running and DOES NOT when it is not, the problem lies with GDS being unable to coexist peacefully with uT. If there is an option to exclude your download directory from indexing, apply that. If there is not, turn off GDS while downloading. There is no other solution until/unless Google changes GDS to NOT take exclusive control of files (file locking).

jewelisheaven

There is an option to check mark on Google Desktop that says "Disable indexing of new items. New items will not be searchable". I can try that but it's too bad that means while I'm using utorrent, my Internet history will not be cached. I'll have to upgrade back to 1.7.6 to see if that works just for interest sake and I'll let you know of the results. But right now I'll be seeding over night for the next 8 hours at least. But I'm still fine with using 1.7.5 because utorrent doesn't drop my connection and I don't have to disable indexing of new items in Google Desktop.

Thanks for all your help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This forum software is stupid when I tried to make a new post, it stopped me from "double posting"; meaning unless someone new makes a new remark, I can't post any remarks! As I say it's stupid software, so here is my follow-up post:

Just to let anyone know, I disabled indexing of new items with Google Desktop and using version 1.7.6 of utorrent works just fine. But it still doesn't explain to me why with version 1.7.5 of utorrent just by changing the default setting of the diskio.flush_files, I'm still able to use Google Desktop?

Also when I ran 1.7.6 with the identical settings as I had with utorrent 1.7.5, for some reason the 1.7.6 version kept on dropping the connection of my individual torrents. When I disabled the indexing of new items with Google Desktop, I kept the default settings of the diskio.flush_files of utorrent 1.7.6--I'm still clueless why this new version of utorrent won't work under the exact same conditions as version 1.7.5.

Thank you all for your input.

Archived