bandwith

mailbhargav

As mentioned earlier if you use distributed.net client. If you start using an application which consumes more bandwidth, distributed.net will "release" its bandwidth its using. That way you truly using unused bandwidth. Its small client you can download and check for yourself and compare it with uT. Currently I have always pause the torrents complete my surfing and then restart uT, which is kind of annoying. Or i limit to bandwidth value say "20k", then if start reading an article on internet. i am using only a fraction, which i would want uT to grab automatically. Hope I have been able to explain it correctly now.

I understand what you're saying. The problem is uT only knows/cares about what you tell it to. It has no knowledge about system wide bandwidth usage. If you are telling it to use a maximum of 20 KiBps then it will only use 20 KiBps. I think your problem with internet is due to you setting-up incorrectly... Did you run a speed test (Ctrl-G Speed Guide) while setting your limits?

i agree to what you are saying, it agrees to bandwidth limit set and does not go beyond the set limit, but my question is can we make it more "intelligent" about the system wide bandwidth. ie if another application starts a portions of its bandwidth , it is capable of dynamically reducing. Also increasing it once it application stops using.

I am not a developer, but http://distributed.net/source/ looking at this source code can help integrate that feature.

Archived