[pre-1.1b] Evaluation of µTorrent

Determination

This is the single greatest client ever and i'm so happy I found it. Every update is a godsend. This scheduler is great, but can you make one for when torrents start and stop as well? also try and add manual torrent organizing in the future as well. :) Those are the only things I can think of, keep up the good work.

µTorrent will remain closed source as long as it can be supported by us. This may change if there comes a time where we can no longer develop or provide support for µTorrent. This decision helps make the software consistent and one-of-a-kind through its lifecycle.

This is bad. That can mean only couple of things: you want money for it badly, or your coding is lame so that you are afraid of showing it to others. That comment about "one-of-a-kind" is just plainly stupid.

I like open source too, and I can't imagine it would hurt this project to go that direction (more eyes = less bugs), but neither is it the end of the world if the code is closed as opposed to open. It's not as if the devs are charging for utorrent or being unscrupulous.

If "freeware" as opposed to "open-source" is the cost of a client that only uses 1.6MB of system memory, so be it. Thank you, devs, for all your hard work.

Some people should really get their facts straight and LEARN before making accusations. The BitTorrent protocol is a public, OPEN protocol that ANYONE can implement. Whats more, you cant charge money for a bt client since the protocol is open source and if im not mistaken is under GPL laws.

"This is bad. That can mean only couple of things: you want money for it badly, or your coding is lame so that you are afraid of showing it to others. That comment about "one-of-a-kind" is just plainly stupid."

Ok, so you're basicly saying you couldn't code a HELLO WORLD! messagebox yourself and you wanna rip off someone else's program ?

I can't find any other logical things aside from the fact you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's already being ported to Mac OS X. At this time, no work has been done on a linux version.

Hey, I'm a bit saddened by this, as I'm moving to Linux very soon. :cry: We Linux users are always left behind when it comes to awesome programs like this. There are of course some Torrent clients for Linux but most are memory hogs...only KTorrent is sort of light weight (but still gargantuan compared to µTorrent). I appreciate all of your work on µTorrent as it's the best program I've ever used, hands down. But don't forget the Linux peeps... ;)

Some people should really get their facts straight and LEARN before making accusations. The BitTorrent protocol is a public, OPEN protocol that ANYONE can implement. Whats more, you cant charge money for a bt client since the protocol is open source and if im not mistaken is under GPL laws.

As I understand it, the GPL doesn't say you can't charge for the product; Just that you have to make the source code available to your customers. Also, that you can't take GPL'ed code and put it in your own product, unless it's distributed under a GPL-compatible license.

Most commricial products are not GPL-compatibile since they have their own codebase which they do not share (after all, you wont give out the strong point of your business application if you wanna make money off it), So it sorts off anyway.

I was just pointing out that open source isnt the god of software or something.. people seem to think just because something is open source its ten times better. I dont really see the difference right now when we have such dedicated developers.

I agree, and I'm getting annoyed with seeing people ask about opening the source for like, EVERY SINGLE good, free, closed source program out there. I like open source and all, but asking the freeware closed-sourced applications' authors to open their sources gets ridiculous. If they wanted to open the source, let them do it on their own accord...

Some people should really get their facts straight and LEARN before making accusations. The BitTorrent protocol is a public, OPEN protocol that ANYONE can implement. What's more, you cant charge money for a bt client since the protocol is open source and if I'm not mistaken is under GPL laws.

The OPEN protocol thing is definitely true, but have never heard that the BT Protocol itself is somehow under GPL. I'm really not even sure you could GPL a protocol ... I though it was only for code? I have been to the source ( http://www.bittorrent.com/protocol.html ) and see nothing about that. Unless I see something to the contrary, I will assume that the statement: "you cant charge money for a bt client since the protocol is open source and if I'm not mistaken is under GPL laws." is incorrect on both counts.

If you have real info to the contrary, let me know.

As a programmer with experience such as yourself you should understand even more why not every author would like to just give away the hard work he invested. Especially when there are other similar solutions for the same thing available elsewhere.

Besides, I dont think anyone selling a product would adheer to this (as anyone could just get the source and compile instead of paying):

4. By accepting the Licensed Product under the provisions of this License, you agree that any Modifications you

make to the Licensed Product and then distribute are governed by the provisions of this License. In particular, you

must make the Source Code of your Modifications available to others.

6. If you sublicense the Licensed Product or Derivative Works, you may charge fees for warranty or support, or

for accepting indemnity or liability obligations to your customers. You cannot charge for the Source Code.

http://www.bittorrent.com/license/

Note though, that this only relates to the BT official client source-code. Since µTorrent is built from scratch and haven't used the official client's source code at all, It doesnt concern it.

Archived