how come my Local IP changes spontaneously??

zploek

Whenever I have connection problems, I go check my ip thing with

cmd /k ipconfig /all

I see that my local ip address has changed!!! How can this be??

it has changed from 192.168.1.12 to 192.168.1.10. If I remember correctly, it used to be 192.168.1.10 when I first got my adsl modem half a year ago. If that is true, then it changes all the time.

I think, but of course I'm not sure, this is causing some connection problems.

so my questions are:

1. how can my local ip change, just like that?

2. is this causing my my incoming connection problems?

3. if yes, what do i do to prevent it.

At the moment, the green light is off.

And I don't know if it means something, but shareaza doesn't give the usual waring about how i'm behind a NAT router. And for the first time, the Shareaza connection test tells me I have a UDP connection, but now no TCP connection.

More detailed explanation:

Networks use a thing called DHCP so you can simply plug in a computer and have it work. This simply has a server (in your case, your ADSL modem) that tells a computer it's IP address when it connects to the network.

And no, external IPs are usually dynamic so that your ISP can provide you with a IP at it's whim, sometimes they provide static IPs but usually these are even provided over DHCP as well.

Any internal IP can be static or basically whatever you want, however you must be in the same subnet as any other things you're trying to use and you should always use private non-routable addresses such as 192.168.* or 10.*. In your case, you can likely set your computers ip to 192.168.1.2 and your gateway to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 (your modem/routers ip) and your name server to the same as the gateway or your ISPs name servers.

Or you could log into your router/modem and set your mac address to a static IP or limit the range of dynamic IPs to just one for your system (provided you're the only user of the network).

you could log into your router/modem and set your mac address to a static IP

1 how do i set my mac address to a static IP?

2. and by logging into to my modem, you mean typing http://192.168.1.1 in the browser?

Then I see something called Livebox configuration, it's an Orange DSL thing.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

How do i do this?

I ask again coz it wasn't answered last time, so ........

And no, external IPs are usually dynamic so that your ISP can provide you with a IP at it's whim, sometimes they provide static IPs but usually these are even provided over DHCP as well.

I can see their advantage they'd have with a dynamic IP, however my external IP (starting with 85.xxx.xxx.xx) has been the same in every digit, ever since I bought the adsl connection. and plse don't gimme crap about how i dunno internal from external ip, since i do know the diff.

If I set a static internal IP like it's described in http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm, my internet connection don't work no more, no browsing, no p2p.

I tried that, and I had to reboot 4 or 5 times before I got a connection back, even when I had set the IP thing back to automated. Yes, AFTER I did that, I had to reboot several times.

For the moment, nothing I do seems to have any relation to whether my ports are forwarded, the UT light is green, or browsing abilities. And YES, I know they should ALL be related, but it seems it just doesn't really give a flying f0k about that.

- forwarding the ports by setting the firewall in the router

- automated IP or not

- reboot or not

- even using Windows firewall and allowing the relevant ports to be open

It all doesn't seem to matter, it might work for some time, and I think AHA, that's it! Then the browsing slows down, I reboot, and it just doesn't work anymore.

I know that sounds crazy, and it is, but this is my experience. It all seems more a matter of luck whether or not my ports are forwarded, whether or not the UT light is green etc.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

if anyone has answers, lemme know.

Archived