Configuration Question

SilVR

So I have been messing around with different configuration variations the past week, and I have found that I see absolutely no difference in speed when I have ports forwarded on my router. Right now, I have disabled port forwarding on the router and disabled both UPnP and NAT in UTorrent. I do have a UPnP/NAT router though. Is this why peers are still able to connect to me? Does UTorrent connect to a tracker, get a list of the IP's with the file I need, and then my UTorrent client initiate a connection to them, therefore enabling my NAT router to do all the work? If this is the case, why do you even need a listening port?

uT does not include NAT Transveral or UDP Hole Punching techniques in its code, which necessitates the reason for forwarding ports or using UPnP/NAT-PMP to map them. The only perceived difference in speeds noticed by people with forwarded ports is that they themselves are able to connect to firewalled peers by having THEM make incoming connections. Perhaps reading up on TheShad0w's explanation Why is Being Firewalled Bad? will help.

Archived