uTorrent stops internet connection

ssjgoku5

Hi everyone,

I am one of the loyal followers of uTorrent and have never used any other client ever! I have been downloading for quite some time now, both at my home and college. But recently when i opened uTorrent at my college the internet stopped working all together. The connection was still there and i had an IP but none of the pages would load such as google, yahoo etc. My school homepage however was opening and this leads me to believe that there is some sort of firewall that detects uTorrent (Bitcomet, Azerus were detected too) and closes all traffic except the one going to my school's domain name. I tried using an outdated bittorrent client and that was working alright (not as fast as uTorrent obviously) and when i uninstalled uTorrent and renewed my IP everything was back to normal. So my final question is can i somehow get around this problem?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Too bad the program doesnt regonize your loyalty :P

Yes there's torrent traffic shaping, but it only stops bittorrent traffic not normal browser. But perhaps your college using thier own designed network management.

I hope you can provide more details how your lost and recover your connection. So i can start my brain thinking the right direction :)

Ok so as soon as i started the actual uTorrent program the internet just gave way. Although i still had my IP assigned by the DHCP, when I tried opening a page on the browser but that didnt help at all. I then had to shut down uTorrent (i also uninstalled it just to be safe) and then i had to do a IP release and renew to get a new IP and then it was fine again. I used ABC torrent (its just some random client) and that didnt affect the browser traffic. However, even when uTorrent was running my school's domain/homepage etc. was opening fine. Any more things you want to know??

P.S: Whatever be the case uTorrent still is the BEST! :P

Yup, Azurues was my best, but after a while i had enough its hogging up to 200MB resouces prefetch. BTW this is a tough one. I need more clue..

You recently using new router or something? Also tried reset windows firewall? What was the last changes before you get into this problem?

Which version of utorrent you run into trouble? And what was the one that run fine on?

It is likely an incompatibility with another running program. Have you gone through http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software and gone through the How-To limiting your uT settings?

If you're stuck in any of this please advise further :D ALSO note a HiJackThis log would be useful, as is a process explorer DLL list of uT. Download procexp.zip, open procexp.exe, Ctrl-L, Ctrl-D, click utorrent.exe, Ctrl-A, copy-paste into a post below :D

would like to sat that ive also recently been having this problem aswell, when utorrent starts going for awhile it shuts my internet down. I have a BT home hub, i connect to it using a wireless linksys wireless g speed booster usb network adapter. I have tried limiting global connections to 200 only, but its still shutting my internet down, i have to shutdown utorrent, disconnect the usb adapter and reconnect it before internet works again.

Homehubs also contain firewalls iirc. You'll want to go to http://bthomehub.home (that should be the right URL) and try to configure it for "bridge mode" which will allow it to simply pass-through communications allowing your linksys to takeover the load. Wireless connections are inherently more unstable than a wired connection and as such generally can't maintain the same load. Additionally filesharing programs often expose problems with wireless / USB drivers... those don't appear to be at fault here however. You should check through post #2 of the How-To seeing if that helps reduce the occurrence of the internet dropouts. If not, you may need to reduce the connections even further.

I think you didnt read my first post accurately. The problems i am facing are at my college. uTorrent works fine on my laptop at home but when i am using my college wireless/lan connection thats when the problems start occuring..The same goes for the computers installed in my college labs. I was wondering if there was a way to mask the uTorrent traffic or something to get past this problem. I am pretty sure my college guys are blocking all the major torrent clients.

• 5 months later...

Archived