Version 1.7.7 Crashing

dan999

Hi, I know you've logged a number of fixes for the latest version 1.7.7 crashes. I have been using uTorrent for about a year and until I just upgraded to the latest version I have never experienced a crash before today. The crash seems to only occur when I try to reset the download location. Seeing as I've never had a problem before upgrading to the latest version, I'd just like to double check that the only way I can fix this by following one of the fixes you've suggested.

Could another option be to 'downgrade' back to the previous version before changing any other settings!!

If not, of the fixes you've suggested the only one that seems potentially relevant is the note to get an anti-virus application and clean the system. However I already have Norton AntiVirus, do you still suggest I get another, potentially AVG Free? Should I replace Norton with AVG Free?

Any help on this would be greatly received.....

I had a problem with utorrent before with same satuation like this, the fastest way to fix this rollback, because i know some people dont have time or enough knowledge to do this, i find it older version doesnt mean is shit, more over the there's no big improvement or fixes on this latest release.. is a total unessesary update for clientside.

... no, big improvements are usually for the initial implementations of an application / version. Like the overhaul to Preferences and the Details pane for 1.8 when compared to 1.7. It's not up to you to decide the necessity of an update. After pointing out long-standing bugs a very helpful user/coder pointed out some oversights in the code which prompted first 1.7.6 and then a code-audited verified 1.7.7 which should fix remaining holes in 1.7. As it stands 1.7 is on the way out. This was the case starting last july, after interim builds came fewer and farther between culminating with the previous stable 1.7.5 released on 9/11/07...

@dan999: could you also provide a DLL list from process explorer for the uT process (download zip, open procexp.exe, Ctrl-L, Ctrl-D, click utorrent.exe, Ctrl-A, copy-paste below)... it sounds like something is hooking into uT. Also I'm taking it to mean when you STOP, right click -> advanced-> change download location it crashes? Is there anything special about the current path you're using for the torrent? Is it an external drive? a network share? full UNC path?

Archived