How does automatic upload speed work?

Poromenos

I have looked all over but I can't find details on the automatic upload speed feature. Does it try to minimize ping while maximizing bandwidth, or does it just detect your maximum upload speed and set it to bt.auto_ul_factor% of that?

If it is the latter, are there plans for a ping plugin?

Plugins aren't a part of uT. AFAIK the auto-upload limit does what it suggests. Every defined interval it unsets the limit and uses the uploaded data for that sample time to set a relative limit. The factor is the maximum change you will get from one adjustment period to another. Generally speaking the variables are in seconds and bytes where applicable, whereas the factor is in % form.

Sorry, I said "plugin" when I meant "functionality". Are there plans to implement such a feature, does anyone know? It would remove the need for a scheduler altogether, I think, if it could adjust itself according to ping. I realize that ping and bandwidth aren't the same thing, but usually when uploading you don't really care about having bandwidth available (besides, the ping scheme would detect if you started uploading because the ping would get higher and would limit uT's upload to compensate).

Well, I've looked at it a bit more, and I realize it just determines your maximum upload speed, it doesn't check to see if your line is being choked... So I guess this is a feature request for a ping-based limiter!

That would have the added advantage of rendering the scheduler unnecessary, since it would never congest the line...

Hmm, that's interesting. My ping times plummet when I use automatic uploading, but come to think of it my connection is having ping problems anyway, so it might be that. I'll test and post again, thanks.

Edit: You're right, it does raise it by 50 msec or so, but nothing abysmal... I'll keep using that then, thanks.

Archived