downloaded 1.7.7 port forwarding will not work

adriana12

I checked with my modem which is a speedstream 4100 and had set it up to bridge the PPPoE to my router. My internet is working a lot better, but portforwarding is not working. When I was doing all this I asked tech support about whether my internet services would work with a static address, and the response was that it can only be dynamic unless I was willing to upgrade for a service that provides an static IP address.

Well they are correct in that regard... But it is unrelated to your problem since your router is acting as your IP as far as your ISP is concerned. Their modem pings the router, to verify you're authorized to use that line. Then your computers connect to the router and all mask as the same computer. Does that make sense?

It is possible the forwarding rules didn't take on your router. I'd double triple check that.

My port-forwarding has also died, just a fortnight after I finally got it working. I am now, after seeing your post, almost certain that my port-forwarding woes are caused by the 1.7.7 update, as i have made no other changes in the time-frame in which my port-forwarding failed. Is there a solution to this problem or even a way to revert to 1.7.6?

UPDATE: Tried to downgrade, obviously badly as I failed. Just downloaded old version from <munched - don't link old versions - DWK> and re-extensioned the ".dat.old" files in %AppData%\uTorrent to just ".dat" files. Didn't get any joy with the port-forwarding, unfortunately. Wish I'd never clicked that button to update, yet another example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

UPDATE 2: After much intensive tinkering, I managed to completely screw uTorrent on my computer and have lost any progress on torrents. Go me. Still, I may find sucess with a fresh install of 1.7.6. Probably not though.

broken ones ><

OK, to get your torrents back is easy. You really should have backed up your settings and resume before uninstall but that's no biggy. You can set up your save folder before this and it makes things easier. For batch adding of torrents you can setup the auto-load torrents folder from Ctrl-P -> Other. OR you can multiple select torrents from Ctrl-O (save to same default folder) or Ctrl-D (save to different folders). Tell it to start, and when uT finds the files/folders in that directory it will start Checking 0% -> 100%. After it finishes checking it will start downloading the remainder of the files or begin seeding.

As far as the update causing the problem.. did your "fortnight" include having to reset your rules after the previous upgrad efrom 1.7.5 to 1.7.6? If so a logical first step would have been to re-add / re-perform the steps you did that time. Usually it results from old rules linked to old exe files. Each update is a new exe, and for programs which use "signatures" or hashing to verify EXEs, each update is a new program even if it has the same name. Additionally many .. overzealous AV block uT as a trojan just because it is a packed EXE. This may have been a "useful" feature 10 years ago, but with todays polymorphic virii/encryption schemes, it would be better just to drop the entire heuristic detection altogether. If you would like more ideas of things you may have forgotten / places to check after problems with the 1.7.6 update feel free to check out my post .

Please include additional information you think can help others with the same problems. Version numbers of your security software would help IMO.

Edit: since the original post help.. I decided to add helpful information.

Archived