Blank page when connected to Web UI, even locally

sukkie

Using uTorrent 1.7.7 build 8179

Trying to access Web UI on my local machine (Vista Home Premium) via http://localhost:8888/gui/ ... I get a password prompt, but after logging in my screen is blank in both FF2 and IE7. I tried the default uT port and a few other ports, same result.

The WebUI.zip (not unzipped) is in C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent. (Run > %AppData%\uTorrent gets me here)

The first time I try to access WebUI I get these messages:

[10:13:11] HTTP: IP 127.0.0.1: GET /gui/

[10:13:11] Unable to read webui.zip

[10:13:13] HTTP: IP 127.0.0.1: GET /gui/

But thereafter the logger shows this repeatedly when I try F5 and refresh my browser:

[10:14:33] HTTP: IP 127.0.0.1: GET /gui/

What have I missed?

What are elevated privileges?

Under \Users\My Name\AppData, there is

Local

LocalLow

Roaming

but a quick browse in local and locallow did not reveal any uTorrent directories...

As mentioned, running "%AppData%\uTorrent" brings me to Roaming\uTorrent, and webui.zip (60.2kb) is in there! I also see a bunch of torrent files and settings.dat in there.

I just did a complete reboot of modem, router, and windows, still getting a blank screen. :(

So, "Unable to read webui.zip" means there was some error, but it's not specific about which one. The possible problems are that it is not looking where you expect, the file is not a valid zip file, or uTorrent does not have permission to read it. You could try to open it with Explorer to make sure it opens.

uTorrent looks for webui.zip in the directory where the settings.dat file is. If there is a settings.dat in the directory where uTorrent.exe is, it will use that one first, meaning it will also check there for the webui zipfile.

thanks - with your clues I finally solved it.

I noticed when uTorrent started up it said "[00:35:09] NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that." but I could not locate the settings file in C:\Program Files\uTorrent.

Then I looked at the shortcut on my quicklaunch toolbar, and it turns out I had another uTorrent.exe installed into \Users\My Name\Program Files\uTorrent! Moving the webui.zip into this directory worked. :)

Why does Run > "%AppData%\uTorrent" not point to this directory?

• 1 month later...

Would it help to state the explicit directory uTorrent tried to find the webui.zip file at? Not sure if uTorrent only looks into one directory or multiple areas. If its just one, it would be helpful to communicate where uTorrent is expecting it webui.zip file.

The way it's implemented in µTorrent 1.8 should almost be completely be sufficient. Immediately after web UI is enabled, if µTorrent doesn't find webui.zip in the directory it's using, it automatically downloads it from utorrent.com. Failing that, if you try accessing the web UI, and webui.zip isn't installed, it'll inform the user and provide easy links to fix the problem.

I suppose it wouldn't exactly hurt to include the full path rather than simply saying that it couldn't find webui.zip, but meh.

Archived