AntiVirus Of Choice?

mattman2340

DomZ: How sure are you that you dont have a virus on your computer? Not all viruses make themselves known to the user by being massively destructive to your PC. Yes common sense is a wonderful thing, but so is a good AV program.

Btw my antivirus of choice is Trend Micro PC-Cillin. Unfortunately im at uni, and havent been on my home PC for a while so cant remember what it's footprint is like.

I run trendmicro housecall once in a while, or if I'm suspicious.

Its not abt safe practises or not. If there is something out there, that can protect u if something happens, why shy away from it ? Coz u think u are tuff and dont need it?

Nah because I don't want to waste computer resources on something I don't really need. I don't like a system tray full of icons, I use the Classic theme most of the time (although do splash out and use osmetihng like HmmXP or some other minimal theme). And no I'm not running a p2 with 200 mb RAM or anything. It's just the way I like my pc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DomZ: that's what i used to do. I only really installed PC-Cillin because i had to move away from home to go Uni, and didnt trust my family to remember to run Housecall every now and then. As for not wanting to waste computer resources, i completely understand. An AV isn't something u REALLY need (anyone who says AV's are useless though is wrong), so if your smart enough (common sense isn't enough) then don't install one. As for a system tray full of icons, you could hide the icon if you want so thats not a problem.

@everyone else: as i said above if your good enough with comps then great, if not then i recommend installing an AV even if you think you have enough common sense to know what you should and shouldn't click on.

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10.0.2.2000 here (I'd never use Symantec/Norton home versions). It does a decent job at spyware too. Not only that, they're very responsive to virus/spyware submissions. I received a few AIM viruses/worms through IMs and I downloaded them on purpose (with Firefox, so they wouldn't auto-execute in IE) and then quarantined them manually and submitted them to Symantec. Within 3-5 minutes, Symantec had emailed me a link to their RapidRelease definitions saying it was now detected and could be removed if I was infected (I wasn't, but still). That's what I call service.

-Ares

I'm surprised that no one uses eTrust EZ AV. It's very light and new definitons released daily. Much more attractive UI than that of NOD32 as well. Kaspersky is good, but a little too resource hungry for me. AVG is ok too.

If you feel you need and AV, I'd recommend trying eTrust.

I've been using etrust ez av since 2001. it didn't play well with XP SP2 when that first came out, but my problems seem resolved now. I have noticed that they're changing how they distribute it, and I had problems on their license page having it re-send me the client download (or resend my welcome email for that matter)

Its not abt safe practises or not. If there is something out there, that can protect u if something happens, why shy away from it ? Coz u think u are tuff and dont need it?

If we require such protection, we will install it to be on the safe side. But do consider the various exploits, virus, and worm attacks known out there. A lot of these things work by exploiting flaws and holes and a whole lot of them require user interaction. It's not that we're on a buffed up security network. It's just that we know how much of these things work to know how to (easily) avoid them. As I have mentioned, we'll install one if we're in need of one. But like myself, DomZ, and Firon, we're careful in what we do. It's much less about being nerds, geeky, or being high and almighty. We believe we're cautious enough to not need an AV installed for the moment.

A person who has precautions is not the weaker person but a smarter one.

And its not even abt memory usage and all. Nowadays there are so many AVs with low mem usage. Its just a "cool" thing not to have it for some people.

Just coz pple have AVs, that doesnt mean they dont practise safe networking.

Why have a firewall then? Just unplug ur internet connection. There , u are super safe !

(Ignore all this if u are a Linux user)

There's a difference between a smart user and a cautious one. You may have a smart user who knows much about how computers work yet has very little knowledge as to what goes on around the 'net. So when that smartie-pants click on that email that executes a worm that travels through his entire network, do you think he's smart now?

There are cautious ones and then there are paranoid ones... however the level of paranoia differs from person to person. Having an AV installed is only one of many defenses and is only intended if you or someone you know is/are careless. All of us don't mind having some form of AV installed. But do remember that there are those who do not have a need for one just yet. Why we do not need one is really our own opinions and preferences.

its easier to be "e-smart" with some things like active-x spyware, but other things like viruses are designed to be sneaky.. ive heard of software companies accidentally burning their cd's with viruses on them. this could just as easily happen to a lower level producer such as those who compile uTorrent..

i keep my virus scanner just so i dont get caught off guard by that internet filth :/

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10.0.2.2000 here (I'd never use Symantec/Norton home versions). It does a decent job at spyware too. Not only that, they're very responsive to virus/spyware submissions. I received a few AIM viruses/worms through IMs and I downloaded them on purpose (with Firefox, so they wouldn't auto-execute in IE) and then quarantined them manually and submitted them to Symantec. Within 3-5 minutes, Symantec had emailed me a link to their RapidRelease definitions saying it was now detected and could be removed if I was infected (I wasn't, but still). That's what I call service.

-Ares

I'm going to add my vote to the Symantec Corporate camp. I've never seem it bog down servers or workstations, either at home or where I do network admin/consulting.

I encouraged (read demanded) one client get it to replace another app they had bought that downloaded, of all things, an executable to update.

A tad useless to protect systems when the people using them all had limited accounts, yet it's marketed to all flavours of Windows users.

I used to have norton installed. That was utter crap. Then i tried the 'better' product of that family, Symantac Corp. AV , It wasnt all that much better.

Since then ive used kaspersky and im pretty happy with the results. It seems to detect alot of prehandedly (was never infected, but it can detect some suspicous code\scripts etc).

(Ignore all this if u are a Linux user)

Haha' date=' you go on telling everyone about how they [b']have to use AV, and then you say "don't worry if you're on Linux"? Linux has viruses too, although less - ever heard of the Slapper worm?

Linux has its share of exploits (in fact, about the same as Windows and OSX, at least according to CERT ;])

My thoughts exactly. I read where some researchers did a test with Linux and Windows. They set up some PCs to be vulnerable to the internet. Both the Linux and Windows machines got affected. Its just that Windows got infected a helluva lot quicker than Linux. And the Windows PCs got infected with more viruses, trojans, etc. than the Linux PCs. I also predicted at FlexBeta earlier this year that once FireFox got popular, the exploits will come arunning.....lol.

Its just not worthwhile or beneficial for someone to write an exploit for an OS or browser that only a few ppl use. The idea is to infect many, not few. (depending on what the exploit writer intentions are - regular mischief or financial gain.)

Archived