AntiVirus Of Choice?

mattman2340

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 years later...

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am fairly new to this. I have had no issues running uTorrent with ESET but decided to try the new Avast free anti virus and it killed uTorrent. I had nothing but red bars and that includes files that I had already DLed and seeding up. I had the p2p unchecked and read through a lot of info but to no avail. I will add that I am not the most tech savvy. Im trying but again, new to this. I removed Avast and went with the AVG free and again, I am having the same problems. I am not even sure where to begin at this point. I dont know much about exclusions of the file extensions and was wondering if this was where my problem was and if there is a resource that I could read and learn from. I included exclusions in both Avast and AVG for uTorrent itself but from what I am reading, it may be that I am not excluding the right extensions? I am currently using just the windows firewall and Windows XP service pack 3. From what I could see with Avast is that despite uTorrent being unchecked in the p2p window was that it was still scanning everything. I was unable to tell with AVG. Since then, ive uninstalled uTorrent as well as both Avast and AVG and tried reinstalling uTorrent and even without protection, it wont work. I will add that I am using v2.0.3 of uTorrent as recommended by a friend that told me it worked better with the torrent site I strictly use. I had the current version and I did see a big difference in my DL/UL speeds when I went to the older version. Also during the issues, I did update to the current version to see if that would make a difference as my better half has that and Avast free running on his laptop with the XP and service pack I am currently using but it didnt make a difference. He offered to help but I want to learn for myself. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ive spent 2 days to this point trying to figure out what ive done wrong and dont mind reading...even a few pointers in the right direction would be great. Ive read threads that say it varies from system to system...that just because it works on one doesnt mean you wont have problems on another. Ive gone through and typed it out every way I can think of on Avast and Avg's sites but this is the first post that ive seen that I feel could offer some solutions. Thanks in advance for your time. Sorry for the book, just trying to be thorough - Val

Firstly, the mods on here will tell you that they no longer support any of the 2 series. The latest stable version is the 3.1.3 version, but that is very buggy, I would therefore use the latest 3.2 beta version which has addressed these issues. I am usiing Windows XP with service pack 3, Avast free antivirus and Comodo free firewall and don't have any issues. Have you ticked the box in uTorrent preferences, Connection settings that says to Add Windows Firewall exception. I can't see Avast antivirus blocking the program as if it did then it would say something had been blocked in the Avast program. By the way, I have nothing set in Exclusions in Avast for uTorrent, this only stops it checking utorrent on scheduled tasks or manual tasks which only takes it a second to do. One thing that could cause issues is if you haven't fully uninstalled one antivirus before installing another.

Archived