Install Program for uTorrent

Carlos4x4

Has been debated to death. :| An installer will add hundreds of extra and unncessary Kilobytes to the executable without really doing anything. No thanks. :(

B.t.w, the program you linked to alone is 2.36 MB, I'm very scared to see how huge it'll make µTorrent's executable...but of course everyone is free to package their own installer if they want... :/

Ok, the instaler is not need. But make the program more elegant and has unistaler.

Most of the users aren't expert, for they is more simple use an installer and unisntaler program.

For example, old people don't know where is "Program files" folder, the see "My document" nothing more.

Carlos

For example, old people don't know where is "Program files" folder, the see "My document" nothing more.

Oh, really? Funny, I know where the "Program Files" folder is, and put a shortcut to it on one of my toolbars and one to the µTorrent executable on one of the others; I created a folder named µTorrent in it and an empty settings.dat in there without anyone else's help, despite being about four times the age you sound. One of the people who introduced me to Windows was my older brother ... now let's see, he was twelve when I was born and that was only seven years ago, so he was five years older then than I am now.

Seven years ago he was (not currently is, as you put it) five years older than I am now. What are you smoking?

I did say "he was twelve when I was born and that was seven years ago," and one could read it as saying my birth (rather than his help in introducing me to Windows) was seven years ago, as if I were now seven and he nineteen. When he was nineteen and I was seven, no human had been in space and there were forty-eight stars on the US flag.

I should have put it, "One of the people who introduced me to Windows was my older brother. That was seven years ago and he was twelve when I was born, so he was five years older then than I am now." But the mistake you said I made is not the one I did make.

Anyhow, nobody is too old to learn how to use an executable that doesn't need installing.

When I say old people I talk about 40 year old or more.

I talk in general term, of course you can find examples with old people that know all about computing, but it is not the rule.

Carlos, today's forty-year-olds are as familiar with this stuff as their children are. (Heck, I have a nephew who is past forty and a niece coming up on it fast.)

But dAbReAkA and I agree: an installer for µTorrent is pointless.

I'd hate to see an installer. I mean - how hard is it?

You download the EXE and run it. No harm, no foul.

You could make a folder manually if you wanted - C:\Program Files\Utorrent\

and then copy the EXE to that folder and make a shortcut for the desktop.

Don't bloat the thing! It's nice as it is.

Maybe make a separate app that is not in the same EXE for install instead? Even a separate app for uninstall that cleans out the EXE, config files in the user folder and all the registry entries? Just not integrated is all. :)

When I say old people I talk about 40 year old or more.

I talk in general term, of course you can find examples with old people that know all about computing, but it is not the rule.

Carlos

You obviously don't hang in my circle then, but in all fairness in the under 25 crowd there are a lot of people who can talk a good game.

Archived