network downloads paused......

carrige

hi, well done for the great client! i am dnloading onto another computer on the network, (because my hdd is only 5gb) and when the network pc shuts down or restarts the dnloads pause. ok, this is obvious, but they only continue when you select them and start them again.

how about a feature that would automatically check, say every 5 minutes, if a network connection is available again? ex: my dad restarts the network pc @ 10pm without saying anything, and im watching tv. in the morning my dnloads are all paused, a night's download wasted!

please try to see to this feature asap, thanks

I agree, but it will deal with the problem that carrige seems to be having, which is not enough space locally to do what he wants.

I also made my recommendations based on what I was taught is a properly designed network, which does not use an operating system based solution (which includes a PC, even one running linux) do to the job of a decent hardware router.

its not the router thats restarting, its the other pc! i have a constant connection, its just the pc thats saving my info thats being restarted, and thats stopping my dnloads!!

i cannot get a new hdd, because there arn't any empty slots on the motherboard!

p.s. im subscribed to a 256 kbps connection adsl, wots with the NAT ERROR, and 6 dnloads going at a total of 10kbps? i never understood the thing of port forwarding, anyone care to explain in SIMPLE ENGLISH please!? thanks a lot

carrige

TheBear: hmm...so you're against a PC that's running, say IPcop/Monowall/Smoothwall, and acts as a router? Can I ask why? :|

P.S. I'm not being stubborn, I just want to know the reasoning behind this. :)

I've dealt with professional hackers in the area of corporate security and go by their recommendations.

Simpler equals more secure when proper administration and passwords are followed.

My IT instructors made the same points years ago and haven't changed their position on this either.

There's nothing wrong using software solutions as a second or third line of defence though.

Many corporate environments only have webservers available after a primary hardware router and will have often have a second router after that providing further protection before you could even get into trying to hack data/app servers and workstations.

I've set up my home LAN in a similar fashion. Nothing is ever configured "as DMZ" (a very quaint way of saying screw me over please), remote administration is disabled and only the ports needed for that level are open.

Archived