severe password confusion

finisterre

I successfully downloaded a RAR file but when I try to open it in Filzip or 7-Zip I am asked for a password.

This has me completely stumped: I have no idea from what person or entity I could obtain a password. Who or what is requiring the password? The unpacking program (7-zip, Filzip)? The unpacking 'method' (RAR)? The particular file itself? Is someone expecting me to pay for the password? How would find out who that is? What makes them think I would pay for it? How can I tell before I download that a file is going to require a password?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't personally know anyone who's even heard of torrents, much less knows anything about them :-(

This should have been posted in 'Chat' :P

Anyway, its the rar file that has the password.

Its either from a paysite, private community or someone who shared something for a friend.

If the BT site you downloaded it from is a private tracker and it displays the name of the uploader,

then maybe you can pm this user in the forum (private tracker often has a forum).

This should have been posted in 'Chat' :P

Anyway, its the rar file that has the password.

Its either from a paysite, private community or someone who shared something for a friend.

If the BT site you downloaded it from is a private tracker and it displays the name of the uploader,

then maybe you can pm this user in the forum (private tracker often has a forum).

Umm...I understand part of what you said :-(

How is it possible for something to be downloaded from a pay site? I thought everything comes from other people! Isn't that what p2p is? I'm confused.

Also, what do 'private community' and 'private tracker' mean? I've spent weeks trying to figure this stuff out online and have been unable to. All the help sites assume the reader always knows what everything means and how to use it! (such as this one: http://www.torrentz.com/guide.php)

thanks much

Hi

Look in the file name of the file you downloaded, sometimes it is hidden in it ADOBE ACROBAT PRO {torrents.dl.amr} the password is usually torrent.dl.amr. Take a look its worth a try.

Private trackers and closed communities are bittorent sites that require registration, and you to keep a 1-1 ratio at all times. They are faster than public sites such as isohunt.com. A good private site is www.bitsoup.org, which i am a member of it takes you a while to build up your ratio so that you have no wait times on the latest torrents but its worth the effort.

Look in the file name of the file you downloaded, sometimes it is hidden in it CREATIVE COMMONS-LICENSED MEDIA {legaltorrents.com} the password is usually legaltorrents.com. Take a look its worth a try.

That's what you meant, right? :)

Often more unscrupulous sites use this technique - passwording archives, then uploading them to public sites in order to attract more users. You'll probably find another file in the torrent with a link to the site. There you may be able to get the password. TorrentSpy has a good feature where they list passwords that may work for the torrent. Quite useful. But this is why I don't download from public sites :)

Archived