Please include LAN and WAN ips in window

Switeck

Alot of people no doubt have difficulty identifying their firewalled "NAT error" situation, so I think this would go a long ways to helping.

If your LAN ip (usually 92.168.x.x) was visible on the status bar as well as your WAN internet ip (anything other than 10.x.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x or 192.168.x.x), then people could tell if there's a hidden router between their computer and their WAN internet ip.

...instead of having to guess what "NAT error" means in their case.

Kinda reminds me of the "Check Engine" light on my car. It tells me there's a problem, but not what.

Having the ips constantly posted at the bottom of the µTorrent window would allow the user to know if their ISP decided it's time to give them a new ip address.

Also, with wireless routers and dynamic ip addresses if the wireless ever disconnects it is not uncommon for the computer to reconnect using a different ip. Once again, something where static information won't tell the whole story why someone is "NAT error"ed.

For one, your WAN IP has nothing to do with it when behind NAT. You also can't find it unless you query an external website or something (if you have a LAN IP). The only thing that matters is your LAN IP. If you have a WAN IP on your computer, an IP change isn't gonna affect you.

There are numerous ISPs that give you a new ip whenever you 'sign on'. If your wireless router loses connection, then it is possible for your ISP to decide you 'disconnected' and assign you a new WAN ip when your wireless router manages to reconnect you. And if your computer is set to 'assign an ip automatically' you may even get a new LAN ip address as well for twice the fun!

You mean suddenly changing your WAN and LAN ip addresses wouldn't have an effect on whether other peers in the torrent can still connect to you if they're not aware of this change?

If you're behind a router and your WAN IP changes, no, it won't have an effect, because µTorrent has no knowledge of your WAN IP. The tracker does (because it receives a connection from your new IP at the interval) , and it's the tracker that tells all the other peers about it. If you're not behind a router and your WAN IP changes, it still has no effect, because yet again, it's the tracker that figures out your IP and tells the other peers about it. You just wouldn't get incoming connections until the next update interval.

Your LAN IP changing is another matter, and it'd really only happen if your router cycled power or something if your computer was on the entire time. :P

Your LAN IP changing is another matter, and it'd really only happen if your router cycled power or something if your computer was on the entire time. :P

Or in the case of wireless routers...if a microwave oven was operating nearby.

Ok, so it's not even possible to post whatever ip is reported by /winipcfg (or equiv?) at the bottom of µTorrent, be it WAN or LAN?

(Or neither, as I've heard of USB connections getting into the ghost state and returning something like 169.x fake connectback ip.)

I just thought I'd mention that private ip 'special case' because it's like saying 'edge' is a possiblity in a 'head or tails' cointoss.

Btw, with Win 98SE and Win ME, the connection can be progressively crippled from overloads such that it's impossible to say the exact moment the connection is lost. Couple that with a D-Link Wireless router using UPnP...and running BitComet with 'extreme' settings...run by an idiot (well with those settings, saying it's run by an idiot is repeating myself)

...and their computer will invent whole new ways to screw up that will baffle the experts for ages.

Ok, so it's not even possible to post whatever ip is reported by /winipcfg (or equiv?) at the bottom of µTorrent, be it WAN or LAN?

It is possible, I imagine quite simple. Just not all that useful. :P

edit: as Firon said, to get the WAN IP you need to query a server, which could end up wasting resources :P

• 4 years later...

Archived