driver_irql_less_or_equal error

IronChefCHN

Sometimes, when using utorrent, I get the driver_irql_less_or_equal blue screen of death. I noticed that this occurs most of the time when I add a new torrent to download. Not every download tho. I suspect the error may be caused by utorrent allocating space for it. I have not gotten this error while not using utorrent. I use an IBM T40 laptop if that makes any difference.

Here is the complete message from the BSOD:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.

If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8159EDDA)

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

I have reformatted several times but it eventually keeps coming back. I read somewhere that it may be because of a faulty driver installation. Is there any way I can tell what driver it needs it fix?

Lastly, I suspect my hard drive can be a little faulty. However, because I have not gotten this error using emule, mirc, direct download, I think it has something to do with utorrent's program. when it does happen, it happens within a couple minutes of starting utorrent. I do use ZoneAlarm as my firewall. Is there a list of bugs associated with that?

Thanks in advance.

There should be a driver/filename mentioned somewhere if it's giving you this error.

And for the record, a usermode app like µTorrent can't cause the error. Only a driver or kernel-mode software (like a firewall) can.

It is possible that it's Zone Alarm. It's been known to cause BSODs for others before.

Archived