The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

bornyesterday

I keep getting this error on just about everything I download. I start the torrent back up and it works for a little while longer and then stops again. The best I can figure is that it is having a problem with downloading directly to my external hard drive. I'm redirecting my downloads back to my main drive now, but if that's not the problem, then I don't know what to do.

• 10 months later...

I was having the same problem and did what "bogge" suggested and guess what..... the i/o error problem is solved. I haven't gotten the error send I unchecked the "Disable Windows caching of disk writes".

To note: I"m using XP pro. I had my downloads going to my internal drive (not an external). However it is a sata drive. And since I installed a new motherboard, my internal sata drives are listed in the "remove hardware safely list" in the system tray. From what I've read on the internet, the drivers are treating my sata drives as if they are usb type devices. Hence are being shown in the safely remove hardware list. Another to note: It scared me at first seeing them in the list and thought of the possibility of accidently removing my C: drive but found out that even if I tried, the system wouldn't let me do it. So I'm cool with it....

Thanks for the info on changing the settings.... it worked!

Cori

Archived