Crap Download Speed, Port Opening & Closing...

lonedownloader

Hi,

I'm running uTorrent 1.6 on my WinXP SP2. My ISP is BT Internet, and my router is the BT Voyager 2091. My service with BT allows me "up to" 8 Mbps, although I know that's actually closer to 5Mbps.

My connection is embarrasingly slow, and strangely that's especially true these days. One example of something I'm currently downloading (I have just one download going at this time):

Seeds: 4 (4)

Peers: 48 (94)

Down Speed: 1.7 KB/s

Up Speed: 25.1 KB/s

Looking at my peers I can see some users downloading at speeds as fast as 580 KB/s, so it can't be that the seeds have low upload speeds.

I have a port open, and I've followed EVERY step on Portforward.com to the letter. However when I test whether my port is open, it sometimes says that the port is not open, and then, a few seconds later, it says it is. My download speed spikes to about 20 KB/s for a few seconds, then goes back down again.

Yes, I do have firewalls, but they both have been set up to "allow" uTorrent, and completely disabling them has had no effect. And there's no proxy for BT Internet, as far as I'm aware.

uTorrent settings: UPnP port mapping is disabled, as is DHT network and DHT for new torrents. No maximum download speed.

Global maximum number of connections: 800

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 500

Number of upload slots per torrent: 25

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

During 'peak' (evening) hours, BT throttles BitTorrent horribly slow.

And your upload speed max even outside those peak hours is probably really bad -- like 0.5 megabits/sec or even as low as ~0.1 megabits/sec.

Your settings?:

Global maximum number of connections: 800

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 500

Number of upload slots per torrent: 25

*ALL* of those are way too high for your connection!

This will potentially prevent you from getting good download speeds except maybe on the OpenOffice test torrents.

If your browsing speed is also very slow, even to fast websites (google), you may be seeing the same problem I am ().

Is your speed fast after a cold reboot, and then it slows down, or is it slow from the beginning?

If your browsing is fast, I can't offer any suggestions, sorry.

Kimmy

Archived