Resuming stopped torrents.

nu2p2p

The Checked %XX is extremely slow - I'm not clear why this needs to take so long. I've got two torrents ( one 4 GB - 3K parts, the other 40 GB - 25K parts ) it has taken over 12 hours and it hasn't gotten through the 40 GB one yet. I'm surprised that it didn't check the smaller one simultaneously(?) My machine isn't very stable ( heat problems, I think ) and crashes unpredictably - it seems as though I'm spending more time Checking than downloading! When downloading I was getting an average of 20 KB/s down and 10 KB/s up. I tried other engines, but found they slowed my system down too much or I couldn't get them to resume the uTorrent download.

The same behavior can be seen when using the Stop button. After re-reading your post, I see how that can be seen as unexpected.

I'm trying to understand the mechanism involved. Given the size of the files, they're on an external USB drive. I don't think the USB link speed is an issue since I've been able to stream video off of the drive. Is there a checksum table for each fragment somewhere?

Uhm the process and protocol of bittorrent involves checksums of each "piece" of data. To learn more about bittorrent check out the primer (Guides page link #2).

It is possible you are not on a USB 2.0 controller, in which case you'd be transferring at horrid speeds. Additionally, even on USB 2.0 drives you'll be limited by your processor and mainbus speed.

Archived