Why does uTorrent connect to so many useless peers?

somedudepsp

Hello, whenever i download a torrent, the torrent im downloading for example has 200 seeds and 1000 peers, I get about 150-200 kb/s, which is normal but my client is connecting to 10 seeds and 38 peers but is only downloading and uploading from about 9 of them and some are only downloading and uploading low as 1.1 kb/s..

Is there any way to drop the useless peers and connect to some that will actually upload or download from me? Thanks.

... When you announce to a tracker you get a peerlist. The peers you connect to are a random subset of that. I say random because you can't control who you connect to. If you're setup correctly (using the Setup Guide - Guides page link #3 - and the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G))... you are uploading and downloading efficiently.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but no, Firon, he's right. Im sitting here partial seeding 50 torrents, and am connected to about 45 peers that are doing nothing. Nothing at all. They're probably partial seeding just like me, and their client is behaving just like mine and isnt disconnecting.

The only flags I have from them are the Encryption E, and an occasional Incoming I. Other than that they just sit there. And sit there.

I've had this problem exceedingly worse on other trackers than this one (BitGamer) such as torrentleech, where i've been sitting connected to 14 peers ON ONE TORRENT who aren't downloading, but utorrent absolutely refuses to disconnect them unless i reach my connection limit.

Now, since I dont like having to keep my connection limit at 20 max connections in order to spare my very limited bandwidth and monthly cap, and have to go manually set it to 1000 again when I download something, I'd like to figure out why this is, since I'm sure it would be very easy to notice and fix, so I'm assuming there are complications with disconnecting all peers who dont have a d, D, u, or U flag after, say, 30 seconds. It seems completely pointless for me to be dealing with the overhead from connections to well over 100 useless peers.

I'll probably post this in the bug section if this post doesnt get looked at here.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived