Can I disable CHECKING?

OkoIko

After a bad shut down, and after restating Utorrent, pending downloads are "Checked". That is, under the status bar, before downloading resumes, Utorrent does some kind of 'checking'. It is slow, tedious and a 4Gig file can take 15 minutes AND, it only does one file at a time!. Once completed, Utorrent will re-start any dloads.

Can this be disabled, if not, sped up?

I'm running on a 2.3Ghz CPU, 2 Gig RAM with saves direct to Hdrive (not a usb or other place.) Only other thing running , aside from normal processes, is AVG anti-virus, no other mem or CPU hogs.

OI

Checking is done after an improper shutdown or crash. This was implemented back somewhere near 1.7.2. You should find out why it's not checking faster... 4 GiB on my computer takes 4 minutes because I'm running a single drive for downloads and uploads, so the drive is seeking while you're checking. If you run RAID or multiple drives it will be faster. Also note that if you don't have two drives at least for your system (windows partition) and downloads it will be slower as well.

jewelisheaven said...

"You should find out why it's not checking faster... "

and DreadWingKnight said..."make sure that the hard drives aren't being slowed down..."

Thanks to you both for the quick response.

The machine with uTorrnet on it is a bare bones does-nothing-else machine dedicated to uTorrent. I often find it seeding at about 100+kB/s while downing at 4kB/s but on a good file, sometimes downing at 40kB/s - but that's all another story :)

There are 4 hard drives, (one dedicated for Dloads and Seeding - others are just storage), two dvd burners, one old floppy, and XP. RAID = Yes (of course). Not sure if it's PIO (DreadWingKnioghts comment) or not. There are no other programs running, as mentioned before, except AVG and it's less hungry than the other big name brands. I pre-killed or uninstalled a long time ago all of the other general plagues like QuickTime, Real_stuff, and Network doesn't go near it - it goes to them, when I want it to and not until so you see, it's pretty much dedicated.

I thank you both again. I will investigate DreadWingKnights PIO comment and will look into why it's not checking faster. You both answered my question quickly and very well - tell the Boss I said you could both have the rest of the day off with double the pay :).

OI

You only have to go to Device Manager to check on your hard drive controller settings. They should be set to (U)DMA, not PIO as current transfer speed. How fast is it checking? You can find out by looking at the piecesize for the torrent and going to Speed tab and switch to Disk Statistics and computer piecesize*pieces/second for the hashing. Alternatively you can get Process Explorer and use Ctrl-I (System Information) or double click on utorrent.exe to show you disk i/o sthroughput. If you work it out on my relatively old and slow machine 4 GiB in 4 minutes is ~ 20 MiBps, which is horrid, however your speeds are much worse. While you're looking at the throughput how's about you try it while not doing downloading activity .. or download OR upload ... :/ It honestly depends what the piecesize is in my experience. I can get something like 30% more throughput on .5 to 1 MiB pieces than 4 MiB pieces. So check that out and feelfree to report back additional questions or results :D

Archived