why does my downloading seem to be limited to 110kb/s

twiggs396

if i have four downloads on the go the max download will be about 110kb/s overall. but if i stop three and let one with lots of speed download on its own then that one will shoot up to about 110 max. i have an 8 meg connecting with ethernet connection and port forwarding. why do i seem to be limited

It's called Traffic Shaping. Many ISPs do this for "network management", and to keep "user satisfaction" high. Which is fine if it's clearly documented IMNSHO. However they rarely do this, so your best bet to figure this out is to keep a running log of times of day/week and achieved speeds from say OpenOffice... If you can't get > 1 Mbit down via torrents you're probably stuck unless you HAVEN'T already tried Forced encryption with dis-allowing legacy (unencrypted) connections.

Alternatively you may find that the in-development 1.8 line helps with this. It has workarounds client developers have collaborated on to make. It's best to run uT 1.8 self-encapsulated so it doesn't affect your current settings :D

Your ISP (*.dsl.as9105.com -- Tiscali or some reseller) is definitely throttling BitTorrent. Their networking hardware/software is sophisticated enough to identify BitTorrent traffic. Try the µTorrent 1.8 alpha (in the Announcements forum) and make sure you have Protocol Encryption enabled. Some users have had success in getting around Tiscali's throttling with 1.8.

Edit: Heh, jewelisheaven got it first.

i have installed the new 1.8 version its all up and running but the same problem again even if i have 500 seeds it will only connect to about 20-30 of them giving me rubbish speeds, which is very frustrating. do you have any other ideas or am i stuck. would it help with other programs maybe like azures

Archived