slow speed and porblem pf-ing

vair_17

i have a speedstreem 4200 series modem and a network everywere wireless-b broadband router i have port forwarded the uT ports on my router but when i go to download something i have a connection error, i have tried other torrent clients and have only got 12-30 kb/s .my isp upgraded and sent me a new modem with pppoe connection i believe thats what it is. but i don't know how to set it up with windows xp, with my old modem and router setup i was downloading at about 170kb/s so i think the new modem had something to do with my problems. i heard u could bridge the modem and router but i don't know how( if anyone has a step by step on how to do this that would be awesome) please hlep me!!!.....i`m a noob to this kinda :D

thanks in advance

vair_17

1) Connect your computer directly to the SpeedStream modem.

2) Start > Run > cmd /k ipconfig /all

3) Look for the default gateway IP address and visit it in your web browser (http://default.gateway.IP.address)

4) Look for anything regarding PPPoE, and make sure you've got the necessary pieces of information written down

5) Look for anything regarding bridge mode (or turning NAT off), and do turn the NAT off (or set it to bridge mode)

6) Reconnect your router to the modem, and your computer to the router

7) If the connection no longer works, fill in the PPPoE settings into your router

ok i found out all that info..but i cant do anything with it ..my router is a nwr11b but it is set to gateway not router i dont know why but thats the only way it will work and give me internet access .when i try to change it to pppoe it wont work and i dont know why.

Bridge mode refers to setting ONE of the routers as switches... turning off the firewall and necessity to forward ports on that device. :) The reason... if you want to use a router, your modem no longer has to have a firewall on because your router will be handling the filtering of unwanted packets. Portforward.com may have the modem but I don't know :(

Archived