1.3 no support for Norton AV?

Rockstar101

I noticed that when running uTorrent with version 1.2.2 while also having norton antivirus premier edition had no real problems associated between the two. But now that i update, version 1.3 causes norton antivirus to prompt me repeatedly if i should "permit" or "block" the program, and no matter how much i hit permit , it simply will not. It sees the program as a threat now, but didn't with 1.2.2, anyone have a fix for this problem? Or better yet, a solution?

It's probably due to this:

- Fix: Upload a little bit more aggressively

I hate to say this, but I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do once Norton stubbornly insists that µTorrent is a threat. I'm not saying that you should dump Norton (though I hope so :P), but I'll go out on a limb and say that you should definitely consider the alternatives... :/

1.3 has a lot of fixes and improvements. 1.2.2 doesn't work with more than a few torrents.

Also, the worm protection is absolutely worthless. In fact, if you want to be safe, using Norton is a really bad idea, it's not a good anti-virus. Most modern viruses can easily bypass Norton.

Switch to NOD32, Kaspersky, AVG, just about anything EXCEPT Norton.

Mister, you're way too gullible to believe everything Norton tells you to believe. :lol: Norton is a very, very paranoid program and will lead most users to believe that the Internet is such an evil place, with billions of forsaken people ready to reformat your PC. Tip: it's not. :) You just have to be careful in your surfing habits and install a few good programs, like Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster and a few others that haven't come to my mind yet...and use Firefox/Opera instead of Internet Exploder and use Thunderbird as your e-mail program. Together, these programs will make your Internet experience much better, trust me. :)

You can safely turn Norton's Worm Protection off, it's inflicts more panic on a user than it does good things.

i don't think replacing itself with new one is a good habit for any program. i would like the updater to make a http request with current version num to update server and return a redirect to save as a file or up to date page, even i know most official site will never injet any trojs into it.

Pretty much all the consumer (home) versions of Norton's software are indeed bloated and worthless. However, Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10 client is pretty good though. Installer is about 25MB (just the client install, mind you, not the whole CD). So it's hardly bloated. And if you go into your settings and tell it to automatically terminate processes and services (that are found to be viruses), it is a very very effecient scanner. Works well with spyware as well. Not to mention they're very responsive to virus/spyware submissions. I usually get emailed back within an hour or two with a link to the latest RapidRelease definitions that will remove the virus/spyware after a submission.

However, more on subject, I really detest Norton's Firewall. It just makes paranoid users even more paranoid. It pops up threatening-looking messages to benign problems. It's like the program was tailor-made to confirm parnoid users' beliefs that "hackers" are indeed "out to get them." And then the people are hooked, thinking that if they ever disable or get rid of Norton's Firewall, they might be "exposing [themselves] to dangerous threats on the internet!" Haha this sounds like every other Norton Firewall user I've tried to convince that "just because Norton's say so, doesn't mean it's true."

I'd pick Windows Firewall over Norton's any day. :-P

Anyway, isn't there a way to "Allow All" or have it "not ask you again" about a particular program or type of communication? I can't remember, it's been a long time since I've used Norton's Firewall.

-Ares

Ares wrote..

..Anyway, isn't there a way to "Allow All" or have it "not ask you again" about a particular program or type of communication? I can't remember, it's been a long time since I've used Norton's Firewall.

Yes there is of course, and it works, I don't get any alerts, because I have allowed utorrent, without globally disabling Worm Protection. People forget how to remedy the issue of getting alerts even after they have allowed access. The thing to do is remove the program from the list and re-enter it and allow access. The issue occurrs when you have updated the program needing access, you need to remove the old version from the list and put the new one in.

"Symantec is currently working to create and distribute product updates for all affected products. To date, Symantec has not had any reports of related exploits of this vulnerability."

"Symantec Security Response posted an antivirus based protection signature to LiveUpdate on December 20, 2005, providing a heuristic detection for potential exploits of the Symantec decomposer RAR archive vulnerability."

More info: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2005.12.21b.html

-Ares

Actually there is a fix, that usually works, now. And it seems like an odd one though.

Open Norton Anti-Virus.

Select Options

Under the 'Internet' menu on the left select 'Internet Worm Protection'

Select 'Program Rules'

Delete the selection for uTorrent

It should then ask for you to approve the program one more time.

Why it does it... Norton is currently unable to tell the difference between the old and new program and since it can't resolve the checksum it kicks off the warning every time either you connect to another peer or another peer connects to you.

^^My version of Norton (2005) never does that, tho. Everytime I switched to a new version, the firewall pops up and asks for permission for access. I got like 6-8 different versions with access....lol.

It must be buggy versions that have this problem. Thats the best fix for it too. If there are still problems, do like stated above and manually add it to Program Rules.

• 4 months later...

Archived