Encrypted enabled by default

joeyjojo

As a user behind a college firewall, I would like to see "Protocol Encryption" set to Enabled by default.

Myself and many others are only able to connect to users who have set their client to allow encryption. This is the minority, since most do not know what enabling this setting does. I can see no disadvantage to setting this to Enabled by default, thus allowing connections to users like myself who can only make encrypted connections.

Thanks

Interesting. Can you explain then why my utorrent can only connect to a very small proportion of seeds/peers? Bearing in mind that it is set up perfectly, and NO connections are possible with encryption disabled. All connections made have the E flag, when encryption is enabled.

Port forwarding is fine (port 1720, netmeeting, it is one of the few ports open in the firewall, 522 is possible as well).

Your ISP may be blocking non-encrypted connections. This means if you have encryption disabled, you won't be able to make outgoing connections. Additionally, any peers in the swarm that don't support encryption or have it disabled won't be able to connect to you. There is no way in µTorrent to disallow incoming encrypted connections, so if you don't get any connections when you have encryption disabled, you may not be connectible (firewall, NAT,...) or you just have an annoying swarm.

"Additionally, any peers in the swarm that don't support encryption or have it disabled won't be able to connect to you."

This is the situation. The solution is releasing the next utorrent with encryption set to Enabled by default, massively increasing the number of other clients I can connect to.

As it stands, the majority of clients are set to Disabled. They try to connect to me, but their unencrypted connections are blocked by the firewall. Whether or not my encrypted connections are received by them is irrelevant.

uT and any client in particular cannot connect to all peers. This is because most peers are configured improperly and / or firewalled. uT cannot force connections to peers, but it can accept incoming connections when configured properly.

uT is encrypted by default. This means that uT accepts whatever encryption the client has, whether it's header-only, full-stream, or none.

If you would like to try out the "next" uTorrent, it can be found under 1.8 indevelopment thread in the Announcements forum. To test it on a trial basis it's recommended to use it self-encapsulated so it doesn't mess with your current settings.

Proof is in the OpenOffice Torrents

• 5 months later...

"I can see no disadvantage to setting this to Enabled by default"

My ISP killed my connection for a day and a half because they thought the huge amount of encrypted data coming out of my connection was a virus propagating itself. This is probably pretty rare but it still really sucked (and probably will again when they forget and shut me off again).

Archived