Loosing peers on version 1.7.7

fpjack

Hello,

I've noticed after updating to 1.7.7 that whenever I start utorrent, I get a lot of peers on the list. After a while (invariable, can be 1 minutes or 1 hour) the list gets smaller and smaller, limitating my download speed.

I restart again and all the previous peers are there back and the speed is higher.

As a sample, the file I am downloading has 10.800 of availability.

After a while, availability goes to 2.500. I restart and it goes back to 10.

I am running only one file per time, WinXP home

No, it doesn't remove it from the peer list; it simply disconnects from the peer (but leaves it in the peer list). That it gets left in the peer list means that µTorrent might try connecting to the peer again in the future.

How long µTorrent waits before disconnecting inactive peers depends on peer.disconnect_inactive and peer.disconnect_inactive_interval (the first option determining whether it should disconnect inactive peers at all, and the second one determining how long it should wait, in seconds). µTorrent waits 5 minutes by default.

Hello guys,

I had tested and YES, it does not loose the peers anymore. But it is funny that it only worked after I also set peer.disconnect_inactive_interval for a higher number.

FYI - Whouldn't it be so that you only use interval if disconnect_inactive is true?

Also, I did not find anywhere a variable to auto refresh peers. Do you have such a setting?

• 2 months later...

hi

I have also problem with loosing peers but different than fpjack's. I'm using utorrent with wine on ubuntu 7.04 on ovh's dedicated server and I have troubles with peers, for example I'm connecting to torrent uploade few sec later, I'm connecting to seed and 4 peers, after 1-3 seconds I'm staying only with seed and one peer what makes my ratio not so good, utorrentis trying to connect to lost peers but second after connecting is loosing them

thanks in advice for any sugestions

yes I have enabled encryption, it's not an isp issue because few days ago on this seedbox I had win2003 with utorrent and it was ok, I' was even disconnected from other boxes from ovh :-(

today I installed for tests azureus and this problem dissapeared but I'd love to stay with utorrent

live cd images? it could be hard to do when I'm in Poland and server in France

you know it's not a problem when I'm leeching torrent with > 20-30 peers but when there are only few peers it's a very big problem because I'm finishing leeching with ratio <1 :-(

plzzz help

edit

I checked with encryption enabled, disabled and forced

My point suggesting that is that those types of swarms (slackware/openoffice are the test torrents in the setup guide) are representative of "max" throughput. If they stay connected, and at rates above what you normally get, the problem is with the peers. If the problem isn't ISPs on your end, it's the receiving ISPs (or someone in the middle, as with resellers of Bell in .CA)

I don't know anything about WINE, so I'd check to make sure 1) you're up-to-date with it and 2) you've searched if it's been reported elsewhere. You have read up the guide(s) on this forum yes?

I'll search something about wine, maybie here is a problem because I made a test, run a torrent on utorrent and I was connected only to to peers, next I closed utorrent and I runed same torrent in azureus and I was connected to seven peers - only one difference, azureus is on java and utorrent emulated by wine, thanks for sugestion I'll seerch on some linux forums to find answer

I was connected only to to peers, next I closed utorrent and I runed same torrent in azureus and I was connected to seven peers - only one difference,

I'm guessing you meant "two" aka 2 ... versus "seven" aka 7

That's 5 peers difference, not 1. Unless you meant something else? The question is still... do you KEEP connections longer than say 30 seconds, on those test torrents. If not, but you did on server2003, on the same server, on the same swarm, there is something bad with WINE. In that case you know where to look. I'm still thinking it's swarm variability... :/

Archived