FOR ALL LINKSYS WRT54G/GL/GS USERS WITH PROBLEMS

Firon

I have a prob... My router (wrt54gs) was acting up so i came here to get the solution. I installed HyperWRT and put in the startup code, rebooted. It seemed to work fine, then it started disconnecting again. So i installed the dd-wrt mini v23 and telneted the script in. Again, it seemed to work fine, and now its acting up again. anybody have any suggestions? please?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I flash with dd-wrt.v23.mini.zip and then I just run the scripts of the FAQ? Or do I need to flash also one of the other 3 FW after? Thanks again!

The mini firmware version is ok, but missing a few of the features that are in the standard (std) version. I'd recommend you use the standard version just in case but that's just me.

The vpn and voip firmwares add those specific services on top of the standard firmware. If you're not going to use a VPN or VOIP stuff, don't worry about them.

So I flash with dd-wrt.v23.mini.zip and then I just run the scripts of the FAQ? Or do I need to flash also one of the other 3 FW after? Thanks again!

The mini firmware version is ok' date=' but missing a few of the features that are in the standard (std) version. I'd recommend you use the standard version just in case but that's just me.

The vpn and voip firmwares add those specific services on top of the standard firmware. If you're not going to use a VPN or VOIP stuff, don't worry about them.[/quote']

I have official Linksys FW version ATM, the last one available. Please tell me which of these is the correct way to do it, thanks in advance:

1. Install first the MINI version of DD-WRT from the web interface of the Linksys FW and then install the standard version on top of this one from the web interface again.

2. Just install the STANDARD version of DD-WRT from the web interface of the Linksys FW. I don't need to install first the MINI one as the hwsupport.txt file says.

I really like to do this right, I don't want to brick the Linksys.

By the way: I use Cisco VPN client from one of my laptops to connect me to my office network, does this mean that I shuld use the VPN DD-WRT one? Doesn't the STANDARD offer this capability? I can VPN without problems ATM with the official Linksys one.

About VoIP, well... I use Skype :) but don't think that counts, right?

Thank you very much for your answers.

1. Install first the MINI version of DD-WRT from the web interface of the Linksys FW and then install the standard version on top of this one from the web interface again.

This is the correct way.

By the way: I use Cisco VPN client from one of my laptops to connect me to my office network, does this mean that I shuld use the VPN DD-WRT one? Doesn't the STANDARD offer this capability? I can VPN without problems ATM with the official Linksys one.

About VoIP, well... I use Skype :) but don't think that counts, right?

The VPN and VOIP versions of the firmware give the router itself the ability to use those services. Two Linksyses with VPN DD-WRT installed can create a static permanent VPN tunnel between them. (Heck, there's even a possibility that the VPN version could connect to your work VPN, eliminating the need for your Cisco VPN client.) Having the Standard version won't impact your Cisco VPN or Skype, as the traffic just passes through the router.

Thank you very much for the clear explanation Primus.

(Heck, there's even a possibility that the VPN version could connect to your work VPN, eliminating the need for your Cisco VPN client.)

Very interesting, but I am not sure if my VPN connection can run with just only the Linksys without the Cisco software. I know that our network uses very high security. When I activate the Cisco client I instantly lost all other access to the internet, the connection gets totally locked to the company. After I log myself in with the Cisco client I have to log myself in the W2003 domain via Citrix, and the ICA Citrix client is the only thing that can be run trough the VPN tunnel, everything else is forbidden by the Cisco software.

I will ask anyway, it would be f*cking interesting to try the thing :)

Thanks again!

Very interesting, but I am not sure if my VPN connection can run with just only the Linksys without the Cisco software.

That is correct, DD-WRT's VPN does not interoperate with Cisco VPN. The reason is that DD-WRT actually uses OpenVPN, which has nothing to do with Cisco VPN. Only other OpenVPN clients/servers will be able to work with DD-WRT's VPN.

Hi, I need help on finding the version # of my WRT54G. The tofu readme said the # is at the bottom of the router, but I'm not sure which # it is. Can someone help me please? Like...can you tell me does it say VERSION #X or V.x2525238 on the WRT54G routers? Or is there any other way to check the version #?

sorry for my newbie question:D

For mine it only says Model No. WRT54G...I guess it's V1 then.

TY

Edit: I just checked the installation disc and it says 1.05, so i think thats another way of finding the version #. The manual says "The file should be named hyperwrt*.bin, where * is the version number" so do i name the file "hyperwrt1.05.bin" or "hyperwrt1.bin"?

To those with a newer model v5 of the 54G, Linksys released a firmware update a few weeks back that addresses the problem with BitTorrent. This is good news as the v5 does not allow 3rd party firmware updates.

Firmware 1.00.6

- Resolves issues with WAP54G repeater mode

- Resolves issues with certain PPPoE connection

- Resolves issues with SES turning back on when applying settings

- Resolves issues with WPA allowing Shared key selection

- Resolves issues with web GUI ping function

- Resolves issues with using MSN whiteboard

- Resolves issues with instability when using Bittorent

- Resolves issues with using certain ATA phone adapters

- Resolves issues with connecting to NNTP news servers

I've installed it on my v5 router (which I had to get when my v4 died) and since then it's been smooth sailing.

Download it here. (WRT54G v5 ONLY)

i have an interestin prob.. i had hyperWRT installed for a while, and it seemed to be working great. then, after a few days, my connection started dropping. so i decided to try dd-wrt. again, it seemed to work fine, then my connection started dropping. and also, with dd-wrt, it was having problems assigning IPs, so, since neither seemed to work better than the other, i switched back to hyperWRT. this time, my connection started dropping immediatley. and now, my connection will drop even if i close out of all my downloads. does anyone have any suggestions?

Running out of ideas for you ... a couple more suggestions:

1. In uTorrent network options, disable UPnP Port Mapping.

2. Delete all uTorrent related port forwards on the router. If you're using DD-WRT make sure to delete those appearing in the UPnP Port Forwarding page in addition to the entries on the other pages.

3. Put in a new port number for uTorrent -- something in the 30000-65000 range.

4. Put your port forwarding entry in to the router config. Make sure the protocol type is "Both".

5. Use uTorrent "test port forwarding" button in the Speed Guide to make sure it's all working.

6. Also add a port forwarding entry for port range 6881-6999, Both. This is the common default range for BT ports, though it shouldn't matter it might help.

Note, you should be putting these port forwarding entries in the Port Range Forward page, NOT on the Port Forwarding or Port Triggering pages. I've had questionable results using those 2 pages for opening ports on the router.

Other than that, you might want to install the lvllord patch which lets XP have more than 10 half-open connections at once:

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools

I can't see how it would help your situation, but then, I don't know what would either.

Archived