Cannot set announce interval higher than 3600 second !

AdrenalinMd

It seem what uTorrent ALL VERSIONS(tryed 1.7.5, lastest stable 1.7.7, and even last beta) do not respect interval send by trackers if it's more than 3600 seconds.

It seem what it was already reported, but completely ignored.

My question is.. What's the reason ? Is uTorrent becoming a new BitComet ?

In my opinion, high announce interval+peer exchange = PERFECT ! Both for the user and for the tracker ! And why client should not respect the tracker wish ?

Azureus is working just perfect ! (see the screen shots)

Here is the proof..

To get the tracker exact answer I have use Wireshark/Ethereal

"d8:intervali5400e5:peersld2:ip11:.."

Look at the screenshot, always at 59:5..

utorrentannouncebuggd6.gif

And Azureus works just as expected ! Exactly the same torrent was used.

azureusannounceokte6.gif

I'd really hope you can fix that in the 1.7.x branch..

... the 1.7 branch is ... err deprecated (i'm not the most versed in terminology)? the updates to the stable code --- 2007-09-11: Version 1.7.5 (build 4602) were for security codifying. Exploits were made available in the wild and patched by the uT team. If you could verify this behaviour on the current in-development 1.8 line from the Announcements forum it would be appreciated. To make things easier on existing settings please try running it self-encapsulated.

It seem to be some "hard-coded-limit" in the uTorrent.. Maybe it's not so hard to modify that.

Here is with the latest uTorrent 1.8 (8205), as suggested, "self-contained in one directory" scheme was used, same thing..

utorrentbetaannouncebuggj2.gif

5400 seconds that's 1 hour 30 min, anyway, as I said, it still ignore that and start counting down from 1 hour..

You do not respect bittorrent specifications ;p Really hope you can change this in 1.7.x too, I like the round icon ;p

It seem to be some "hard-coded-limit" in the uTorrent.. Maybe it's not so hard to modify that.

5400 seconds that's 1 hour 30 min, anyway, as I said, it still ignore that and start counting down from 1 hour..

You do not respect bittorrent specifications ;p Really hope you can change this in 1.7.x too, I like the round icon ;p

Actually, we do respect the bittorrent specification:

http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification#Tracker_Response

Clients may send a request to the tracker more often than the specified interval, if an event occurs (i.e. stopped or completed) or if the client needs to learn about more peers.

uTorrent clamps the interval to 1 hour, true, but it only contacts the tracker if it needs more peers, which is allowed.

uTorrent clamps the interval to 1 hour, true

If you follow "specification", then how you decide to "clamp" the interval to 1 hour ? Why not 2 hours ? Why do not leave this task to tracker owners ?

uTorrent clamps the interval to 1 hour, true, but it only contacts the tracker if it needs more peers, which is allowed.

I'm not sure I did understand well, do you mean if interval is 1 hour and user already have a lot of peers it will not contact the tracker after 1 hour ?

uTorrent clamps the interval to 1 hour' date=' true, but it only contacts the tracker if it needs more peers, which is allowed.[/quote']

I'm not sure I did understand well, do you mean if interval is 1 hour and user already have a lot of peers it will not contact the tracker after 1 hour ?

Sorry, it will contact the tracker after an hour, even if it's just to report statistics. The one hour limit was chosen by ludde some time ago. Do you have a reason to increase it?

That particular interval is only a guideline (should, not must). As a result, clamping to an hour is allowed by the spec.
Clients may send a request to the tracker more often than the specified interval, if an event occurs (i.e. stopped or completed) or if the client needs to learn about more peers.

The exception ("send a request to the tracker more often") is allowed only in two cases:

- an event occurs

- client needs to learn about more peers

However, even if client have a lot of peers and no events occurs, it's still the same one hour limit (even if I said to client to announce in interval of 1:30hour), thereby this exception doesn't refer to our case, thereby you don't respect "specification".

min interval is what really enforces the minimum announce interval.

Already tried, same limits.

Anyway, I want to allow user to MANUALLY ask for update at any time, that's only 1 torrent, I want just to increase the announce interval.

utorrentbetaannouncebugrs4.gif

Sorry, it will contact the tracker after an hour, even if it's just to report statistics. The one hour limit was chosen by ludde some time ago. Do you have a reason to increase it?

Huh, well, imagine we have >500k of peers, and +30 mins realy make difference for our servers, also the bandwidth, a lot of users have +100 torrents, and they don't care too much about the old ones.. And with "peer exchange" there shouldn't be great difference for users. Anyway, why should I explain.. Why then it's this "interval" all about, if you impose your limit ?

Just look at Azureus.. I think it's a good example to follow..

I'm not sure, maybe ludde had some kind of security reasons for introducing this, maybe he though what ISP or other can change packets and change announce time send by trackers.. If not this, then this limit really make no sense to me.

Increase it at least to two hours.

Archived