! Clear Up Category Pane

Hi,

The category/label pane needs a little work.

First is the easiest fix: add a separator bar between the fixed labels and the dynamic labels.

Next, the status categories are a little unclear and seem a bit redundant. It would be ideal if there were different status categories for corresponding status values: All, Downloading, Waiting, Started, Stopped, Completed, Seeding, Error.

All: of course is all torrents

Downloading: includes only torrents that are actually transferring

Waiting: includes only torrents that are started but not transferring

Started: includes all torrents that are started (D+W) [optional]

Stopped: includes all torrents that are not stopped (but not in error)

Completed: all torrents that are finished but not seeding

Seeding: all torrent that are actually seeding

Error: all torrents that have errors

Hopefully that can make the category/label pane a little easier to use.

Waiting = Queued

Truthfully your request is not compliant with the title. "Clear up" connotes REMOVING information not adding it :P

I've suggested some similar changes, and change takes time.

Try this with the current implementation... [ul][li]for your "downloading" = Select Active + Downloading[/li][li]for your "waiting" there is no current way to ONLY see queued torrents[/li][li]for your "started" = Select Downloading[/li][li]for your "stopped" i think you mistyped, and that = Inactive[/li][li]for your "completed" = Select Completed[/li][li]for your "seeding" = Select Active + Completed[/li][li]for your "error" there is no current way to only see Error torrents--- however there is a change coming to make the status more prominent in the 1.8 alphas. Stay tuned to the Announcements thread[/li][/ul]

I'm all for clarity, however most of your current request is already implemented, SO... i am all for ADDING

1) Queued torrents selectable somehow and 2) Error torrents selectable somehow. :D

I did mistype the Stopped description. :)

As for the others, I know that most of them are already possible by selecting the right ones in combination (there's not way to subtract one category from another), but that's not the point. I said "clear up", not "clear". Clear connotes to remove while clear up means to remove doubt and confusion, which is quite present in the current status categories. If you have enough torrents to fill the various categories and then take a look at them, it is not quite clear what they are for. For example, the same torrents appear in both Downloading and Inactive which seems like an oxymoron. Others appear in both Inactive and Completed which is a little redundant as do those in both Downloading and Active. The category names are not descriptive of their contents.

I was asking that the status categories be made clearer in their usage, so that it is immediately obvious what torrents would be in them. I offered some suggestions, but the category titles are changeable (eg Queued is fine).

Oh, and the error messages are still inaccessibly as of 1.8.8205.

• 2 weeks later...

NO, you didn't mistype 'stopped'

Stopped is NOT inactive. Inactive means there utorrent is not expending any bandwidth to drive the torrent, it's effectively 'idle'. Stopped means that you have manually told the client to stop the torrent, this is a completely different state.

The problem stems from missing a 'state' Column. Currently the state of the torrent is displayed in the 'Name' field, it should be it's own field so it's easier to sort on. Right now there can be inactive torrents that have completed (or not completed) that you aren't dedicating any bandwidth to.

Other states would be nice to have too, specifically so you can sort on any torrents having a problem, namely 'could not contact tracker' or 'missing data' etc .. etc , anything to turn the icon to a red. This is the 'error torrents' discussed before.

Implementing the extra field will allow you to say 'I want to see these labeled torrents which have XYZ state'

Currently managing 395 torrents is tricking finding any broken ones, manually stopped ones are tricky too.

NO, you didn't mistype 'stopped'

Actually I did. I had typed

Stopped: includes all torrents that are not stopped

When clearly I meant

Stopped: includes all torrents that are stopped

The not was slipped in accidentally.

The problem stems from missing a 'state' Column. Currently the state of the torrent is displayed in the 'Name' field, it should be it's own field so it's easier to sort on. Right now there can be inactive torrents that have completed (or not completed) that you aren't dedicating any bandwidth to.

Other states would be nice to have too, specifically so you can sort on any torrents having a problem, namely 'could not contact tracker' or 'missing data' etc .. etc , anything to turn the icon to a red. This is the 'error torrents' discussed before.

That's what I'm talking about. It needs a little spring-cleaning to make things more controllable and more consistent.

Currently managing 395 torrents is tricking finding any broken ones, manually stopped ones are tricky too.

Exactly. While there are plenty of people who have just one or two torrents, µTorrent is not just a single-torrent application (you could use BitTornado for that), but rather a torrent management program. And as you add more and more torrents (especially ones for processing later on), it becomes more important to be able to manage them as easily as possible. That's the whole point to adding category and label capabilities. They just need to be made consistent and clear in their purpose.

Sorting by Status column (either primary or secondary) makes finding your torrent plenty easy.... TBQH 395 torrents??? I think now is the time I point out I know what I'm talking about stressing uT with thousands of torrents. Even breaking 4200 torrents, the only defiiciencies which make sifting through hundreds of torrents a pain I pointed out above. Additionally I feel there are improvements which can be made to the PAUSED status... but I'm pretty sure that would mean the changes need to be felt as prudent and useful. Most of these heavy management utility features aren't prudent to add for 90% of uT's users... and I'm not sure the resource cost for more-specific status identification.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping that it was only I, but I see that someone else thought the same thing.

I would like to add that the Active category (or a new one) shows all the torrents that are downloading or seeding even if they are not uploading/downloading data (status column=downloading or seeding).

And it would be nice to add another category that you can add torrents to separate them if you do not want them to appear in any other category(example: a list with lots of finished torrents where you want to see only the ones you are still seeding, and move the already seeded to this new category).

Atte.

JGTROCKET

Archived