Slow internet when downloading

mcjanes

Hi all. I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out. Whenever my roomate is downloading using utorrent, MY internet browsing speed literally slows to a crawl. Pages take forever to load, I can't download anything from firefox at faster than 9 kb/s, and my latency when playing online games shoots up to about 2000ms. Meanwhile, on his computer, he's downloading torrents at great speeds, and his regular browsing speed stays the same.

Funny thing, whenever *I* download torrents on my computer (I use Azureus), neither of our browsing speeds is affected.

The Setup:

We both have 2 good-quality (virus-free) PC's running WinXP. He's plugged directly into our DLink WBR2310 router, while I'm upstairs, connected wirelessly with a DLink AirPlus DWL-G520 wireless adapter. We're not on a university campus, just a normal house.

I've tried all the suggestions posted in the sticky at the top of this forum, but nothing seems to be working. Basically, his uTorrent seems to be using ALL of our bandwidth, even if it's a poorly-seeded torrent downloading at ~15kbps. The same thing happens if he's only seeding, as well. Problem goes away as soon as I pause the upload/download.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm stumped here!

I found this also, and I think I found the root cause (it sure looks like a utorrent bug in the connection teardown code) and a 3-part solution:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=36396

If you're on torrents that are actively attacked by anti-p2p organizations, and using ipfilter.dat, this bug will cause your PC to soon come to a screeching halt. In this case you could remove ipfilter.dat, leave that torrent, or hope for a bugfix.

Kimmy

Thanks for the reply. I'll try this when I get home.

However, the problem only appears to happen on the pc that's NOT running uTorrent. There is no noticeable slowdown in browsing speed on my roomate's computer when he's downloading torrents. It is only my computer that is affected.

Maybe you are not seeing the same bug.

Is it possible to ask him to limit his utorrent speed (75%-80% of your total available bw)?

When downloading full tilt, what happens is that the buffers in the DSL modems at both sides of the wire (ISP and you) fill up with packets, and since there is no QOS, all packets get sent on the wire on a first-in-first out basis. This means that new packets are waiting in the queue. The buffers are usually about 2seconds worth of memory.

If this is your problem, the only solution I know of is to limit utorrent's speed.

Also some routers are able to work with open-source firmware which allows you to control the bandwidth utilization per application. Then you wouldn't have to manually configure all torrents.

The fact that his browsing speed is unaffected when downloading full tilt is a little odd...

Kimmy

I tried all the suggestions on the Speed Tweaking Checklist link in your signature before I posted the first time. Well, I didn't have to, actually...all of the suggested fixes were already done on his uTorrent (DHT was already disabled, etc.).

Although, I remember not being able to attempt the first fix...where exactly is the "Peer's Tab" context menu?

Archived