WRT54g V8 Problems (I read the sticky in this forum) Hopeless...

Miyike

Ok here it goes,

My downloads are great. My uploads on the other hand are horrible. They usually start out around 30+kb/s which should be normal for my connection speed, but they eventually drop off to aroung 0.1kb/s or something weak like 2kb/s and don't really seem to go back up. Sometimes they will be at 30+ when i get up in the morning or come home from work, but the always seem to go back to a crawling speed.

I have a WRT54g V8 router. I have upgraded to the latest firmware from Linksys. I've been reading a lot of things and thought I might try upgrading to the DD-WRT frimware. The problem with the custom firmware is that when i researched it, I found out that the V8 routers do not accept any of the DD-WRT firmwares(Unless I'm wrong or the stuff that I read was outdated). I really don't want to brick my router...

So, my main question is why? Why will the uploads be fast sometimes, but REALLY slow most of the time. Any advice is welcome, but I want to avoid buying a new router if possible. I'm pretty sure it's the cuplrit though. Also, When i do speed tests with just my modem, they are usually almost 3X as fast for upload and download. I am not using the wireless connection and I am usually the only one using any bandwidth.

Thanks,

--Miyike

I guess I should also mention that I have followed the speed guide and I don't have QOS enabled on my router...Let me know if you need more info on anything.

The WRT54G series went south after V4, V5/V6 has less ram and requires you to load a preparation flash, load vxworks killing flash, then flash with DD-WRT. It looks like V8's are now supported, but only by DD-WRT v24 RC-2 and up, I wouldn't recommend using it though. It may have been fixed but when I used one of the RC's the router kept breaking done within 1/2 an hour, it had some nice new features too...

Any other suggestions? Is there maybe a different type of custom firmware the will work? Someone must be working on it since i bought this router like a year and a half ago. Or does anyone know some settings that I can change on my router to remedy this situation. It's really starting to affect my ratio.

The only thing I can think of is lowering the global connection number limit, if I recall correctly, when using the original firmware I had the same problem. Before that though, make sure you have the latest in Linksys goodness, if I recall correctly again, updating my firmware fixed my problem, then later on I moved to DD-WRT and boosted the connection limit while lowering TCP and UDP timeouts.

Are you using a V8? I have the 8.00.5 firmware which is the newest on the site. The problem still seems to persist. I lowered my max global connections and it asnt really been long wnough to tell if it's working or not. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I have a V5, they're pretty close though... if lowering your max global connections doesn't work, the only thing I can suggest is a better router, maybe you can find someone with a V4 and trade for your "better" version router, maybe even grab me one as well :D. DD-WRT's standard firmware also supports IPv6, so I guess it would be a future proof investment.

Or wait for DD-WRT v24 to reach stable, since V8 compatibility is on the list of new things.

Archived