uTorrent stops responding on occasion

MiriCats

It never crashes so I can't get a dumpfile, it just stops responding.

I've read the other threads I could find about crashes, and none of them answered my question (I'm running avast! free and the windows firewall, no other AV or firewall sw).

I did run HijackThis!, and the log is at the end of this post.

I really love uTorrent otherwise, and this is the first time it's given me problems; I hope that this is fixable.

Oh, and I didn't start having this problem until I upgraded to 1.7.7.

And when it's not responding, I can still mouse over the tray icon and see the version and the downloading/seeding numbers, but I cannot get any clicking on the icon to produce a response, and if I try to open a .torrent, I get the response:

"It seems liek uTorrent is already running, but not responding.

"Please close all uTorrent processes and try again."

Thank you for your help!

_____

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 11:51:27 a / 11:51:27, on 24-Feb-2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe

C:\Program Files\GlidePoint\glidesvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe

C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZuneBusEnum.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE

C:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\7\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe

C:\Program Files\palmOne\HOTSYNC.EXE

F:\English\Essential_Software\Acrobat Reader for PalmOS\AdobeReader-PalmOS.exe

C:\DOCUME~1\Miri\LOCALS~1\Temp\pft42.tmp\Setup.exe

C:\Program Files\palmOne\Palm.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\FOXITS~1\FOXITR~1\FOXITR~1.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE

C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero ShowTime\ShowTime.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\divxsm.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

C:\Program Files\games\nethack\NetHackW.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GBB36X Configure] C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidTool.exe boot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [skyTel] SkyTel.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zune Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [RunPalmPIL] "C:\Program Files\palmOne\pil.exe"

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')

O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\HOTSYNC.EXE

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C9F87F24-5F46-49E7-B385-E8A86DB1E177}: NameServer = 167.206.3.137,167.206.3.203

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

O23 - Service: GlidePoint Touchpad Client (GlidePoint) - Cirque Corporation - C:\Program Files\GlidePoint\glidesvc.exe

O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe

O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120

\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

--

End of file - 5769 bytes

Hrm. You can actually force a crash dump to be generated, like so:

In the Windows Task Manager or Process Explorer, look for the [PID] of the µTorrent process. From there, File > Run > ntsd.exe -p [PID] -e [PID] -c ".dump c:\jit.dmp;q"

where [PID] needs to be replaced with the PID of the µTorrent process found in the process list viewer (don't include square brackets). The resulting dump can be found as c:\jit.dmp. Do this when µTorrent hangs, and post the dump.

Nope, nothing stands out to me. Try getting Process Explorer from systinternals.com, click the µTorrent process, Ctrl+D, Ctrl+S, open the saved file, copy/paste the contents here.

Edit: Well, actually avast!... Have you tried disabling the P2P shield and/or adding µTorrent as an exception? Look here for more details.

uTorrent is already unchecked in the p2p settings, and it's never caused the other issues that that page lists as symptoms -- using too much processor/memory, slowing everything else down badly, etc.

I'm still waiting for uTorrent to hang again -- just my luck, it'll decide to work fine now that I've gone to look for help with it.

I've downloaded process explorer, but I need to gobednow because I need to go to work in the morning; I'll install it tomorrow and see what I can see.

Ahhh.. Good deal ;P Isn't that how things NORMALLY work. When you have trouble and GET HELP it never reoccurs. Hopefully (to fix) it crashes tonight :D

Can I ask if during this changing you did you removed and re-added the rules for uT in avast?? Sometimes that is all that it takes. I don't know for sure but certain firewall apps use hashes and other metrics to keep track of the apps you are making exceptions to. Therefore whenever there is an update they need to be readded.

Well, it crashed again, in a way I'd forgotten; every few weeks, I get a message that uTorrent has crashed and created a dumpfile, and would I like to submit it and/or restart uTorrent?

So I have a dumpfile, which has been submitted to the developers; in the meantime, how do I post a dumpfile here?

Thanks all!

Archived