Leachers?

zion5795

* leecher: A person who downloads, but fails to reciprocate the generosity of others by not sharing back. The word "leecher" carrys a strong negative connotation. Some people use the words "leecher" and "peer" interchangeably, though this practice is not recommended (as it may lead to word confusion).

* peer: A user/client connected to the swarm. People sometimes refer to peers as "leechers," though they also use the same word to refer to its more negative connotation. It's recommended that you use the word "leecher" to strictly refer to people who don't share so to keep the distinction clear and confusion to a minimum.

In the United States, most people's upload speed is a lot less than download speed. For example, with low-end DSL you get 1.5 Mbps down while you only get 128 Kbps up. If can't contribute back even 10% of what you downloaded, that makes you worst of the leechers (aka a "hit-n-runner").

@darkownagepeace: Your ISP doesn't sound all that cheap then. My connection is 10mbit/s down and 384kbit/s up (lol, 80:3 ratio). Nevertheless, I agree that "I have a bad upload rate" is a bad excuse. Even with my (very) ugly speed ratio, I still manage to keep my global ratio at a cool 1.248 (used to be higher, but whatever). No one's asking people to keep ratios above 1.0 at ALL times; all that one needs is the dedication to keep seeding until one's ratio doesn't suck.

Archived