FEATURE: Label: Status != Finished

krutok

So simply a label that lets you view any torrent that hasn't completely stopped. As of current there is a Status = Active which unfortunately dynamically removes torrent that are in seeding/download but not currently exchange any data.

Sincerely, Martin, Sweden

Ok to spell this out for you very clearly, since you are not following me, here it is in a non-disputable mathematical layout.

STATUS_SET = {finished and not seeding, downloading active, downloading inactive, seeding active, seeding inactive} = {F, DA, DI, SA, SI}

The label sets are:

All: {F, DA, DI, SA, SI}

Downloading: Showing {DA, DI}

Completed: {F, SA, SI}

Active: {DA, SA}

Inactive: {F, DI, SI}

And now what I need is the label:

{DA, DI, SA, SI} = C{F}

Do you follow?

The rationale being to have a label showing you any torrents that are doing any work or that actually might start doing any work without further user commands, that is being in an idle but still active state. I would have called this label "Active" but you unfortunately already took that name for another set.

QUOTE "Not Finished = Downloading. Finished = Completed. Transferring > 1 KiBps = Active. Not transferring > 1 KiBps = Inactive. Only Not Finished torrents transferring > 1 KiBps = Active+Downloading...etc

You are trying to group torrents into a category to which they do not belong. Queued torrents (aka idle) are not active."

This is the point, I am trying to make a new label grouping together torrents that are alive but no kicking at the moment with the torrent that are kicking at the moment, not including those that are dead and will never kick, unless you command "Start". We could have called this label "Started".

Perhaps you never noticed multiple category select. Truthfully your set groupings are missing a few types. Error torrents have no easy way to access them. Similar with Paused torrents. They both show up under Inactive because they do not show active (except when you immediately set PAUSED status and blocks are still being received/sent).

When selecting ALL however both Paused and Error torrents are sorted to the top of the list (as sorted by Status column-Ascending; they are at the bottom when sorting Descending).

AFAIK there will be no new categories for torrents in 1.8. There have been proposals put forth previously by myself and others about making the non-standard types more apparent (queued and paused among them) but 1.8 is currently in feature freeze.

"Perhaps you never noticed multiple category select."

I just tried to select multiple categories using CTRL-Click, it does not work.

"Truthfully your set groupings are missing a few types."

These are the types I as a user see, what else is there?

"Error torrents have no easy way to access them. Similar with Paused torrents. They both show up under Inactive because they do not show active (except when you immediately set PAUSED status and blocks are still being received/sent)."

I see no problem grouping them under respective category. I however do not know how error torrents are handled but they are either active or they are not and they are either downloading or not and similarly either seeding or not. Same goes for the paused torrents, while they are still sending/receiving seederblocks let them be marked as SA and after they are finished simply as F, from a user perspective, or just add a few more states called E, P etc.. and group them accordingly.

But this does not defer you from implementing a new category being {DA, DI, SA, SI} and P/E need not be included here, but they could of course, if you name it "Started". They are pathological cases anyway.

UPDATE:

I might have found a bug actually, CTRL-Click works inclusively for all tested configurations except: Downloading+Active. However this would still only be {DA, DI} + {DA, SA} = {DA, DI, SA} and I would miss SI.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear I'm testing this on the current in-development 1.8 build found in the Announcements forum. Since 1.7.5 which was released in September last year, there has been no development on the 1.7 line. The updates to the program were to fix security holes which were put into the wild by a very nice programmer who decided to give the uT client a run-through. So checking these categories with both what you want and as I understand them would be quite pointless if we're checking using two different versions ;)

If you prefer to keep 1.8 separate since it's an upgrade you can run it rather easily self-encapsulated.

BUMP!!!

I will have to bump this thread :)

So I notice that in 1.8.1 selecting multiple categories works exclusively in all instances. So whatever I said about it before does not apply.

HOWEVER:

I still want a category {DA, DI, SA, SI} = All files which potentially could see some activity, although not necessarily having any at the moment, due to e.g. no seeders or no downloaders.

And due to the exclusivity of selecting multiple categories, there is no way of doing anything close to it, even though it wasn't possible before neither.

User-wise, I think, the best solution would be a new category or a little worse, changing the definition of what constitutes the "Active" category.

Archived