Disconnect/Reconnect Problem with uTorrent

SuperJ

So I have a WRT54G 4 Port router connected to my modem. The house is wired with CAT5 Ethernet.

I have all 4 ports filled for a different computer. I have ports forwarded and triggered on my router for my local IP address.

This all started when I bought a new CAT6 cable (they apparently don't sell CAT5 at Best Buy anymore). Whenever I open uTorrent, and ONLY when I open uTorrent, I begin to disconnect and then reconnect very quickly every 30 seconds - 2 minutes for the duration that uTorrent is on. This ONLY happens when it is on, and it only began happening when I started using the CAT6. I dont think the CAT6 has any problems, it must be the router during uTorrent usage. Whenever uTorrent is on with any of my computers, internet usage is very slow on all of them.

So, what do you suggest? I have tried renewing the IP's and unplugging and replugging my router, but I can't think of much else. I don't want to do a firmware update without some guidance.

Thanks if you can help

Firmware Version: 2.00.1

Thats far behind 5 lol, that may be my problem. Or do you mean the hardware version?

If you mean hardware, I'll get back to you later today. Just heading to sleep.

If you mean Firmware, then I want to be sure the custom firmware that you are talking about works the same way as the stock, with the same features.

Thanks for helping.

EDIT:

Whoops, lol. I was thinking of another router. The router im talking about is actually a Linksys BEFSR41 Router. This probably changes things...

I dont mean firmware version, I meant model (on the bottom sticker of the router).

That particular router is extremely junky. It will die with a low amount of connections. You need to use under 100 or so and turn DHT off. There's no real fix, except buying a better router.

Well, I have some extra cash, what router would you recommend using?

For now, I'll do as you said and keep my connections under 100 and DHT off.

In the meantime, I'll take suggestions for a better router :)

Thanks ;)

EDIT:

Well, it hasnt done it yet since I changed those settings, but my speeds aren't so hot now. I think I need a new one.

Also, It would have to be about the same size as my current router, because I have a box in my garage that has limited space where everything goes.

Thanks again :)

Archived