Is port forwarded?

thewind32

Hi, I'm not exactly new to the port forwarding scene, in fact, I've even successfully port forwarded utorrent before, for myself and friends. However, after I upgraded my computer, I tried to port forward a fresh install of utorrent. There's a green circle with a tick at the bottom, which the faqs states that it means port is forwarded. But when I test the port from the speed guide, it says closed! Then I went online and tried "probing" the port, which claims the port I'm using is open! I have never encountered this before when forwarding for myself or friends.

So, is my port forwarded?

Ahh, well depends. The Network Status icon is based upon connections. You can verify with other sites including http://www.canyouseeme.org and http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=YOURPORTNUMBER and https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=YOURPORTNUMBER to test open ports. Each site uses a different metric to determine open-ness.

Like I said :P Each is different. So, let me check again against my own settings. Yeah :( I only get closed for ports which are not allowed by my firewall, Error for ports forwarded but nothing is listening on, and OK for the ports I'm currently using uT on.

When you click the Peers tab on an active torrent, does the Peers Flags column show "I" incoming peers? That's really the definitive test of forwarding.

Speed tab is used to gauge effectiveness of swarms / seeding over time. 1 second scale shows 2 minutes of activity while 5 minute scale shows 10 hours of recent activity (this session only). Time to download depends upon the swarm and your line (whether your ISP shapes it). Check your maximum sustained throughput on OpenOffice Torrents if it's below that on your current torrent try to seed to more people / more often. For example truly there isn't much benefit except from the optimistic unchoke phase to having 5x the peers connected to your upload slots setting. In the standard 5 minute send interval you upload to all those peers, thereby keeping your connection always rotating. This is also highly recommended when you overload your client above the recommended Speed Guide settings for active torrents.

I will clarify this with a caveat I have noticed in the past: You are definitely forwarded unless those peers are BitComet or BitLord. Both clients have mechanisms to appear to be incoming even though they aren't. Some peers are not "I" and others are, then I would say you are more than likely forwarded. The uT port checker isn't always accurate :)

Hi, I am a new user of utorrent.

the problem i have is that I take this message.

<< Not connectable. A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port, so others can connect to you.>>

Could anybody tell me, what to do????

thanx guys gor the informations but i can't take it anymore.

I am reading all these things but I can't understand anything.

I don't know why, but i have the message

<<no incoming connections. unless the icon turns green

, it could indicate a problem with your network configuration.>>

when i tick on that icon, it shows me the window with speed guide.

thewind32, yes i am downloading but i have slow speed 5-10 Kbps with a 3g broadband connection, 7,2 Mbps.

I believe there are users who are port forwarded but using the utorrent port checker does not indicate as such.

As jewelisheaven has mentioned the ut port checker isn't always accurate. I have the green tick but ut port checker never showed me as opened. Some online port check tools also showed my port as closed. So far the only port checker that showed me as open is https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=YOURPORTNUMBER. I really do not understand why.

Since ut port checker is not always accurate we should not emphasize to use the ut port checker. Otherwise there will be many indicated with un-open ports even though they are opened, as noticed there are many threads pertaining to such circumstances. Perhaps directing them to www.grc.com will be a better.

It's known that the uT checker gives false positives however by and large it is correct. The different sites are offered since they provide different means to ascertain.

For example in many cases with proxies, iirc... the uT checker fails miserably. But by and large if it says you're not open you aren't. And instances where the client says you are is due to other factors like the clients connecting being BitLord or BitComet which can masquerade as incoming even though they are not penetrating your firewall.

grc is the only one out of those I've tried that shows my port as open. But then again, when ut port checker says it's open, we can safely believe so.

psd, then port fowarding is your solution. Are you sure you can't understand the guides? It's gonna be hard and too long to explain here. Maybe you should try other threads that focus on port forwarding? Although I still strongly recommend www.portforward.com.

Archived