Oink's says I'm not clever..

lament

I'm finding that, when opening uTorrent, half my torrents register as "connectable" and the other half aren't. This is with 12 torrents across different trackers.

On OiNK, out of eight torrents I might have three or four that report as "unconnectable" or "not clever".

Restarting the torrent always corrects this but it's still a bit annoying.

I'm not sure whether this status actually affects torrent connectivity, either. If I'm connectable [which I know I am] then all torrents should be connectable _unless_ peers identify connectable peers/seeds from information provided to them by the tracker. It makes me wonder since OiNK is the only tracker I use that lists connectivity per torrent. Other sites just have a single connectability status [which might just default to "NO!" as soon as one of your torrents says it's not, I guess].

Great client in terms of system resources and simplicity. I might end up back with Azureus until a later version of uTorrent, though. We'll see :)

I'm having the exact same issue here. Oink is the only tracker where I regularly seed multiple torrents, and I've yet to encounter any problems seeding downloaded torrents from other trackers. However, with Oink, half my torrents show me as connectable, the other half as non-connectable. I dont have a router at all, or firewall, my port is 100% open. uPNP is disabled. If I restart the torrents it fixes it but they wind up going back to normal later on. uTorrent is also displaying wrong numbers of seeders/peers on a few of the torrents as well. Any help?

I really like the program aside from this

• 2 weeks later...
So how do I become clever/connectable?

If you have a router:

1) go here and choose the router that you have.

2) once you find your router, click the link and it will bring you to a list of programs. choose BitTorrent.

3) follow the instructions to forward (open) a port in your router to allow BitTorrent traffic, but substitute port 50000 (or any high port) for 6881 in the example they give. the reason you want to avoid forwarding port 6881-6889 is that ISPs sometimes throttle (only allow a limited amount) of traffic on these ports, so using a high port like 50000 would be best. there is no "best" port for bittorrent - but choosing a high one makes certain that other programs won't be using the port you choose. And don't forget to put that port into utorrent.

4) go here and check to see if you forwarded your port correctly (change the number at the end to whatever port number you chose if you didn't choose 50000).

If you did all the above correctly, the port should say OPEN after you click the link in step 4.

if not, it's most likely because you forwarded the wrong IP in your router settings. you need to forward the port to your IP on your network. so if your router is 192.168.1.100 and you are 192.168.1.1, you need to forward the port to 192.168.1.1.

Start > Run > type cmd and hit Enter. Then type ipconfig and hit enter. Where it says IP address (probably starts with 192.168) - that is your IP on your network, and the IP you put into your router settings to forward the port to.

if you're STILL not clever, then some other program (Norton Anti-Virus, other firewall software) is blocking your ports. even if you've disabled the program - it still hides in the background.

I have a static IP, I've forwarded the necessary ports, I have booted up Windows so that nothing is running (no firewalls, AVs or anything) and GRC.com still shows that EVERY port is in 'Stealth' mode. I can't get it to say Open at all. Any ideas?

Edit: and I'm clever in BitComet.

I have a static IP, I've forwarded the necessary ports, I have booted up Windows so that nothing is running (no firewalls, AVs or anything) and GRC.com still shows that EVERY port is in 'Stealth' mode. I can't get it to say Open at all. Any ideas?

Edit: and I'm clever in BitComet.

is utorrent running when you're checking your port? because it will stay stealth until you open utorrent.

and you're not using both BitComet and utorrent at the same time are you?

are you using virtual server/port forwarding (not port triggering) and making sure you forwarded to the right IP? I've seen it more than a few times where the person forwards to the wrong IP. :P

yeah that's why I emphasized it.. common mistake.

Get your head round this! Port is in 'stealth' mode as standard. When I run BitComet, it shows as 'open'. When I close BitComet it shows as 'stealth'. But when I open uTorrent, it still stays as 'stealth'. Both clients are configured to the same ports and no firewalls running, nothing. uTorrent seems to put the port in stealth mode itself. Any clues?

Yes, I'm certain I'm only running one at a time. Certain they're using the same port (even when I change ports, they're still in stealth mode) too. I really am confused about this. I've tried booting into safe mode or changing the startup so that nothing starts in case that affects it...but no, it's still in stealth mode. Very strange eh?

• 3 weeks later...
Rather the tracker doesnt like it. You can really flood the tracker if you start too many from the same tracker ;]

...Which is why it is very bad for µTorrent to try to start all the torrents at once. It might also hit the max half-open connections limit in Win XP SP2 doing it as well even if the tracker has no problems, yet another reason to not do it.

port probe-enter you port #

https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=25379

I solved my prob-

I had the same problem of utorrent not having the port show 'open', but when using azureus it shows the port as 'open'. I ran them only one at a time and port fowarding is correct.

I recently uninstalled norton antivirus 05.

I followed the instructions below to completely remove norton, and now utorrent will show the port open(by link above).

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=sg&docid=2004072316001306&nsf=nav.nsf&view=5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4&dtype=∏=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=

I just used the prog called 'SymNRT.exe'

Archived