direct peer downloading??

badd_robot

there is a file that i'm trying to get, there is only one seeder... i want to know if there is a way for me to get it from him directly without participating in the swarm until i can seed it as well... the tracker announce is working just fine i think, however, i only connect to him every so often and that's at a real low speed do to the other 58 leechers trying to get the same file... its been two days.. i'm just hoping i dont have to wait for another 10 since it looks like that's the way its gonna be. i'm kinda new to this whole thing so does this make any sense?

Indeed. ;) But understand that's the beauty of situations like this. If you were TRYING a direct download protocol like HTTP or FTP there's a chance your download manager might not like downloading parts of the file over a week's time. But with torrents you are assured when it is finished it's done... even though the seed is not always available/connected you know the download will complete.

You can also download off the other peers that manage to get pieces of the torrent from the lone seeder...and they download off you. Other peers reward you more with faster download speeds from them if you're uploading back to them. So blocking them all is just plain stupid. :P

Archived