Is there an external RSS filter than can open a .torrent in µTorrent?

crackhaed

I'm about to punch Azureus in the face because of those pop-up error boxes. I can't let it go unless I can have RSS filtering in whatever I'm going to use instead. I want to use µTorrent, but until there is no RSS filtering I'll need a way for an external program to read an RSS thread, filter out what I want, download the .torrent and open it in µTorrent. Does any program like this exist?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TVTAD is supposed to do this but i only found this after a lot of searching and haven't fully tested it yet so not sure how good it is..

I'm using it , and it looks OK. U have to remember - it is targeted to TV shows, so I'm not sure about other files. It is worth while checking...

There is one other compatitor - TorrentVCR . you can give it a try and let us know...

Hi,

I also was battling this question some time ago, found a rss plugin for Azureus, but im running my

bittorrent client on a 486 pc, rather old and slow, cant realy use Azureus on it.

Then I came up with the idea writing my own external rss feed application, that gathers rss feeds, checks

the things you like, downloads the .torrent files and passes them to a torrent client.

Then I saw this thread and thought I had to react, there's more choice then the Azureus plugin and TVTAD, both

fine apps ofcourse, but having more contenders is always good I think.

Anyway, as rafi already said, the app I made is called TorrentVCR, take a look at http://torrentvcr.inacurate.com/

Im busy updating the program on a regular basis, always room for improvement :)

And I hope I dont get flamed because of spamming ;) Just want people to have a choice

Cheers

I'm not quite sure I like to see RSS support INSIDE a BitTorrent client smiley29.gif

I think that implementing an internal web browser interface (mainly for search) was discussed , and I believe the "decision" was that you cannot compete with the richness of external browsers...

May be interfacing with RSS should be treated the same way - let the experts (doing RSS readers) do their job, and interface back to the various torrent clients. As they say - "one for all...". The thing is that both TVTAD and VCR are oriented to TV shows. I don't know what uT plans are, but maybe being able to auto-RSS-download some other stuff as well - might be a good thing.

And may the best app. win ...

I don't know what uT plans are, but maybe being able to auto-RSS-download some other stuff as well - might be a good thing.And may the best app. win ...

Auto-RSS Download is what it's planned with.

I would like to see how it compares to the Azureus one....

That's exactly what I expect from this - be able to give a functionality like TVTAD has - define a group of search strings/names, auto DL and remember not to do that again... I'm not familiar with Azaurus - does it do the same ?

Just read torrents' names from RSS feeds - is not very useful...

The thing is that both TVTAD and VCR are oriented to TV shows.

Well dont know about TVTAD, but TorrentVCR can do all sorts of stuff, not only TV shows, just matters how

you define your watch criteria.

One day all these rss seperate feed things will be integrated into various BT clients, a shame on one end,

you would rather see the developers of a BT client put all their efford into the BT part of it and let others

put their efford into a rss application, people never can cover the whole spectrum and be as good as a

dedicated application.

And on the other hand, perhaps people dont care for complex stuff and they want everything integrated into

one application, less hastle.

oh well, we'll see where the future will take us, ofcourse I hope everybody will use TorrentVCR :)

Cheers

..., a shame on one end,

you would rather see the developers of a BT client put all their efford into the BT part of it and let others

put their efford into a rss application, people never can cover the whole spectrum and be as good as a

dedicated application...

It seems you've read my mind... or maybe read my post...

...- let the experts (doing RSS readers) do their job, and interface back to the various torrent clients. As they say - "one for all...".

Anyway - good luck with TVCR. I'll try your client when the current version is released from Beta ....

Cheers!

rafi, I put version 1.4 up now,

dont pay too close attention to the version numbers, I just fix stuff and include new things, depends how you look

at it, every app can be a beta (eg google mail) or people call it a final with more bugs then a beta application

oh well, on the end its the feeling that someone has about an application

U do use torrent clients, right ? so since uT is going to support it you might consider start using those - to see how we like uT to implement it... If the use of RSS is well hidden from you - it means (so I believe) the application did a good job... :)

I'm not familiar with Azaurus - does it do the same ?

Just read torrents' names from RSS feeds - is not very useful...

Azureus has a plugin that does the same, yes. Getting the names of the torrents is useful because you can enter names of something that new episodes come out regularly of, for example you can filter all files containing "The Scene" and then all episodes of The Scene will be automatically downloaded for you (provided you have an RSS feed from a torrent site carrying those files). It is useful but reading the news through RSS or whatever else is not part of a .torrent client. ;)

Well dont know about TVTAD, but TorrentVCR can do all sorts of stuff, not only TV shows, just matters how you define your watch criteria.

TVTAD is the same.

rafi: Just because Firon is a mod doesn't mean he is an alpha tester. :P There is no reason for him to start using RSS just to test µT. How about ludde releases a private beta (been done before) and all the people who want RSS use that? It would be a small enough group (people using the site/forums) to make it easy to deal with, and those people could raise UI concerns or whatever.

Archived