Is there an external RSS filter than can open a .torrent in µTorrent?

crackhaed

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@rafi: Sometimes it's good to reinvent the wheel for efficiency (like a lot of things in µTorrent were "reinvented" for the same reason).

I was talking about the RSS wheel Ultima... but what the hack, it's RSS time...

and @Firon - you promised me an editable Favorites' "Filters". So - please see that it does work as advertised... :P

V 1.3.1 Beta:

Bug #1: "new filter" seems not to be editable on Win98... and stays always as "new filter" text . Critical bug...

Q #1 : were can you set the update delay time ? we need this for testing, so at least - put it in the advanced setup

Q #2 : shouldn't "update" button be available also for the history tab ? may be just put it at the bottom - near the timer ?

Q #3 : should it be logging the results in the log tab as well ?

Edit:

I'll copy the bug to a new topic in BUGs section

Hi,

Just wanted to give some extra pointers, some isues I came across when developing TorrentVCR

- Some sites have weird characters in the description tag of a rss item, be sure that the xml parser can handle it

- Some sites its better to use the http header filename tag, intead of the URL for the torrent file name

- for private trackers you need to set a cookie to be able to download

- also include a NOT operator in the Watch list, makes it handy to exclude eg dvdscr

- Most sites use rss2.0, and some have the .torrent download link not in the link tag, but in the enclosure url tag

These are a few that I could remember right now, I hope it all works out for UT,

good luck on the rss part

Cheers

It is not necessary to support cookies to use a private tracker's feed.. at least I don't think so.

In TVTAD you just do this for the feed URL:

http://www.private-bt-site.com/rss.php?feed=dl&cat[]=31:COOKIE:uid=X;pass=Y

..or is this in itself cookie support? :(

mm, never thought of this, but this might work too yes, instead of sending cookie information with the http header

you just send it with the parameterized url.

BUT

the download link that you get from a rss feed item doesnt contain all these extra's in the url, and you're adding

this to the rss feed url, but what about the download links within the rss feed items?

Some private trackers also offer "Login type: Alternative (no cookies)" but this doesnt seem to work, always get

unregistered pass errors if I dont use cookies

I'll post my TVTAD guide here that I posted on a private site I'm support on (site name censored out):

(agh, bastard, someone locked and stickied the thread, so i can't edit and grab the bbcode.. i'll leave out the formatting and links..)

Sorry *username*, just had to write something myself since I'm not an Azureus user..

(You may want to read my review of a little program called µTorrent (see sig) if you don't like Azureus's massive resource usage...)

Anyway, this method utilizes another program called TVTAD to download using basically any client. It's confirmed to work with original BT, BitTornado, Azureus, BitComet, ABC and µTorrent though you should be able to find a way to get it to work with any client by posting in TVTAD's forum (there are three different methods and any client should support at least one).So, you need to install TVTAD before you can use this guide. (http download)

Now, you should perform some basic setup tasks on TVTAD.

- Open up the app, and go to the Client tab.

- You need to set up your BT client here. I recommend the ShellExecute method, it works really well with most clients, except if you want the download to be automatic you need to make sure that the BT client won't ask for confirmation or a directory when the new torrent is added. You can usually achieve this by setting a default directory in the options somewhere. If this is not possible, you need to look into one of the other options, which I will not cover here.

- Now go to the Settings tab.

- You'll probably want to check Automatically load TVTAD with Windows and Place TVTAD in tray when initialized, which are fairly self-explanatory.

- The most important setting that I'm covering here is not so obvious. It took me around 20min to work this out. Go to the Feeds sub-tab and first, set the Check for updated feeds time to a reasonable amount. You don't want to hammer *torrentsites*'s servers, so I think a value of around 10min is reasonable.

- Now, go to this page on *torrentsite* to generate yourself an RSS feed. You should set Feed type as Download link, and Login type as Standard (this is a bit counter-intuitive and is what got me). Pick all the types of torrents you want to automatically download, you can filter to only download specific files later.- You'll get yourself a link that looks a little like this:

Quote:

http://www.*torrentsite*.org/rss.php?feed=dl&cat[]=31

(I believe this holds true for most tbsource-based private sites = most private sites..)

.. with cat[] appearing once with a different number for each category you selected.- You need to modify this link to add in the cookie. This can be done by changing the link like this:

Quote:

http://www.*torrentsite*.org/rss.php?feed=dl&cat[]=31:COOKIE:uid=X;pass=Y

- Now, you need to fill in X and Y. Note: If you have problems and need support, censor out the X and Y you put in, as they allow access to your *torrentsite* account! Also if the site is external, censor out *torrentsite*.org as well.

- The two values can be found in your *torrentsite* cookie. You can find the cookie like so:

Internet Explorer on Windows XP

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Account Name\Cookies where Account Name is the account you are using on your PC.

Look for something like splintax@www.*torrentsite*.org[1].txt.

Open this file, and copy the number directly below uid (4 digits). This is X. Copy the string of characters directly below pass (around 30 alphanumeric characters). This is Y.

Firefox

Open cookies.txt in your profile folder (go here for help finding the profile).

CTRL+F (search) for '*torrentsite*'.In these two lines, the number to the right of uid is X, and to the right of pass is Y. (lengths per above)

Opera

Click Tools, then Delete private data (you won't actually delete any), then Advanced, then Manage cookies.Scroll down to find *torrentsite*.org or www.*torrentsite*.org and double click it.The value for uid is X and the value for pass is Y. You can copy the values by clicking them and selecting Edit.. but make sure you click Cancel so you don't stuff up the cookie!

- Okay, now that you have your correct link, we can move on. The reason you had to do this is because the 'no cookies' RSS feed that *torrensite* can generate does not work in TVTAD.

- Click OK, and your feed is set.

Now, the Releases tab will display all the torrents on that RSS feed, and downloads can be started by double clicking a release. But it won't automatically download them for you. You can do this via the Favourites menu.

- Simply type the name (it will search the defaults in TVTAD, many of the shows upped on *torrensite* are already present) and enter it fully if it is not already present. I suggest you use correct capitalization as I think this makes a difference!- It's probably best to just press ALL to auto-download all releases with that name in the feed. However, if you wish to customize the auto-downloaded formats, you can click as many of the options below ALL as you want, or manually write in your options (separated by | pipe characters) in the Format dialog. I use 'TVRip|DSRip|HDTV|PDTV' for my TV episodes.- Make sure that Enabled is selected! And unless you definitely want to, you should have Allow downloading of multiple formats deselected!Now any 'favourite' torrents will be auto-downloaded for you, and run in your BT client according to the settings in the Settings tab.

Hope that all made sense. If you had trouble understanding it or need more help, please send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

/splintax

crap, hope I didn't miss anything I wasn't supposed to say :P The site is fairly security-conscious.

edit: haven't looked at the new version of TVTAD yet, but I'll probably just wait for µT's to go final :P

• 3 months later...

quoting firon:

you're retarded and didn't even see the announcement.

quoting you:

I want to cancel - how do I do that ?

my answer

saavikam you are not only retarded as firon said, you are also an idiot. No offence! jsut read wikipedia what the medical term idiot means!!

HERE and with µtorrent there is nothing to cancel and THIS here is NOT the member area. and HERE is noone that has charged you anything.

It must be that u where scamed by someone for something. Do u want to download your favorite TV show and have u thinked that u need to become a paying member on a nice looking website with big buttons and fancy pictures on it?! LOL

Archived