Updated use of the FORCE RECHECK feature

borgia

Want to suggest an improvement to simplify the "forced recheck" process.

Currently the "Force Recheck" feature is not available if the torrent is in any state except stopped. If one wants to recheck a torrent one has to go through this whole sequence:

1. Stop torrent

2. force recheck...

3. If the recheck finds an error in the torrent then one has to

4. stop the recheck

5. start the torrent again.

6. If the recheck was completed, it starts,

7. but if one has stopped the recheck (when one notices the download is incomplete) it starts the recheck AGAIN before starting to download.

It makes more sense to me to have the "force recheck" ALWAYS available, and have it automatically stop and re-start the download if the file is incomplete.

It is much more convenient to (at any time you feel like it) force a recheck, which automatically STOP the download and if the recheck results in a less than complete file, it automatically STARTS the download again.

Please consider this, since when one has a LOT of torrents going on the process is overly complex to do a very simple task. I feel it should have been this way from the start.

Thanks.

> It makes more sense to me to have the "force recheck" ALWAYS available,

> and have it automatically stop and re-start the download if the file is incomplete.

I think Force Recheck should return the torrent back to the state it was at before the check.

If the torrent was Force Started, then it should be in that state.

If the torrent was Stopped, then it should be in that state.

I can where a user maybe does not want torrent to restart if it was stopped.

Force Recheck is only for stopped torrents BECAUSE in that state it is assumed the user will want to do this.

Force recheck requires 1) you to disconnect from the swarm so the files can be verified 2) access to the files complete data so all in-progress data from the Pieces tab is discarded and 3) extensive disk i/o and as such should usually be performed with nothing else active.

You frequently see people complain about the checking procedure (the automatic implementation of uT to reverify data after an improper/incomplete shutdown OR changing the data location for a torrent) taking so long... and this would only be increased if it were available more than it is now. Sure it may not make a dent on your new RAID setup, but as funny as this is to say uT still holds to the idea it should work just as well on a computer you bought with Vista SP1 installed as it should on that old 486 with win95. As such uT tries to only perform disk intensive tasks when it would have full access to the drive, as trying to download, upload, AND check files will take infinitely longer than just checking... or uploading and checking.... for those with a single read/write hard drive partition.

Archived