Total speed slows at specific times.

Utter_iMADNESS

I noticed about a week ago that my downloads/uploads were becoming really slow. I thought that it might just be a slow torrent but today I began to download many torrents in the morning. Everything was fine, the I was able to download up to 600kB/s (even though I used to be able to download at up to 900kB/s). But at exactly 4:30pm my download speed plummeted to 50kb/s. At exactly 6:00pm both my download and upload speed dropped to 25kB/s. I wasn't able to confirm this before since I used to be at school all day but I was downloading torrents all day today. But there are random times where the speed jumps up to 140kB/s but only lasts for a few minutes.

Can anyone help me out because it slows down at 4:30 which is about the only time that I can download torrents (when I get back from school).

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm currently using Bell Canada. It says that it limits Bittorrent bandwidth and limits bandwidth for users with a high traffic volume. But I've been using uTorrent for 6 months with great dl/up speeds, but it's only been like this for a week. And I don't think that they would limit my bandwidth because my current plan has unlimited bandwidth.

ISP's often cap Power Users once these are identified. Or maybe your ISP just recently decided to generally introduce these new service times.

Anyway. You could try to use the scheduler to only use torrent during off-peak hrs for downloading and upload only during the evening hours.

Or check out 1.8 alpha with forced encryption and no incoming legacy connections to circumvent the shaping.

I just did a speed test on speedtest.net and I got a normal speed for me: about 2100kb/s dl and about 300kb/s up. So could this have to do with uTorrent itself? I checked all my settings and made sure that scheduler wasn't interfering. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I'll download 1.8 alpha right away.

A proxy should work if the traffic is fully encrypted. But BitTorrent may refer directly to your internet ip and not your proxy's ip...so it may still fail.

Also, almost any proxy that is free (and many that aren't!) won't allow speeds faster than you're already getting.

Archived