Strange behavior from uTorrent 1.7.7 in Windows Vista

bangback

Hi all,

I recently built out a machine using Windows Vista as my operating system and put uTorrent 1.7.7 on it. When I start up uTorrent, I observe strange behavior. A red ! mark appears bottom dead center; the message given when I hover over the ! is "Listen error: you should change the listen port." However, for at least a few minutes, the torrent program shows an upload speed consistent with that of the internet connection advertised rate, then both uploads and downloads drop to zero.

I checked the port forwarding, and that application tells me that the port is not forwarded properly. However, when I check my port forwarding settings, they appear to be correct; in fact, a range of ports around the one I use for uTorrent are forwarded.

I also checked the windows firewall settings, and I ensured that uTorrent is allowed, and even added a couple of extra entries for ensuring that the port I am using is being forwarded there as well.

I also checked using a different machine (Windows XP, running uTorrent 1.7.7, same ports forwarded), and that works as expected.

Finally, I changed ports, ensured that this was set up properly in port forwarding and in windows firewall, ended the utorrent process in task manager, and restarted uTorrent. I still get the same behavior.

It seems that no matter what I do, I cannot get uTorrent to work properly in Windows Vista. There is nothing in the FAQs that addresses this continued problem I am having, and not a whole lot of information is available on the web regarding this issue, or with Vista for that matter.

As such, can y'all give me some pointers on what to look at next?

I do not appear to have any firewalls up (aside from the Windows Vista one). I am not running NVIDIA software; an ATI video card is installed.

I also took a look at all the running processes and services in Windows Task Manager, performed a google search on processes and services I did not recorgnize, and did not see any firewalls running there. I do not have any security software running at this time, aside from that provided with Vista.

I also checked to see if my motherboard was, somehow, running its own firewall, but there was none to be found. A port-scanning tool shows all ports within +/- 10 of the one I wish to use are closed, along with the port I want to use.

Just now, I restarted my machine, and observed the same behavior as before (it does upload & download for a few minutes, then totally stops).

I am hoping I don't have to re-format my hard drive and install windows XP; however, if uTorrent cannot work with Vista, then I'll have no choice. As I understand it, I cannot "amputate and delete" the Vista firewall or defender.

I'll see if I can totally shut down both those programs and try again.

So I tried that procedure (delete and re-add rules) and now the tracker shows I am not connectable, the port checker says that there is an error connecting to the port of choice, but now I am uploading files a bit more consistently (near the absolute limit of my connection's rated speed). I don't understand this at all; I thought one had to be connectable on the tracker in order to provide uploads to other peers connected to it.... What gives?

Not quite. You are connecting to the tracker unless you see "Tracker Status: Error" on the General tab. Peer connections happen once you announce successfully ONCE to the tracker each session (stipulating each session is important for people on dialup or non-persistent internet connections)... TheShad0w's editorial explaining why all users should try to solve firewall problems helps to point out torrenting works well when people are able to connect through their firewalls. A tracker registering you as non-connectible may be a false-positive if you are indeed seeing I in the Peers tab. Remember connections between peers may be started at EITHER end, but the best way to keep your speeds is to make sure YOU are the end ;)

Archived