UTorrent will not download ANY Torrents

Tenac87

I have been trying for quite a long time now to get UTorrent working and have always been un-Successful. Well I Have finally gave up and am now hoping that someone here can help me! ^^

I Am Running windows Vista, My AV Is AVG Free Edition and Windows Firewall. I am running the UTorrent 1.8 Beta. Every time I Try to download a Torrent it will stick at 0.0% And not move at all. The availability is red (No matter what Torrent I Try) And I Do not have a router, Just a Power Over Ethernet modem.

Now when I go to the Speed Guide and use the Port Checker it says "Error! Port 65535 does not appear to be open." I Went in to Windows Firewall and made a exception for this port and it still says the same thing. I am fairly sure this is my main problem but can not for the life of me find a way to open the port. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tenac87

I have tried many ports before that one and was not able to get any of them to work. Anyway I tried changing it to "40507" (Is that one good?) And made exceptions for it in my Firewall like before and still nothing. Still wont download the Torrent, And say's the port does not appear to be open...Any other idea's mate?

OK... having followed the Setup Guide you should move onto the How-To(linked below in my signature). Or provide more information about your setup... so others may be able to point out something you missed. Since you have yet to make uT work as you say, it's possible through all your reading you didn't notice some caveat specific to your situation :(

Firstly I don't know what this power over ethernet modem is... does that mean you don't have anything but a RJ45 plug in the wall to which you connect your computer? If you can login to your modem and it has "virtual server" or "Port forwarding" areas to which you can add rules then that is a place where uT must be added.

Sorry, you're correct of course Ultima. Ports CAN be 1-65535 but I have yet to see a peer use port 1 or 65535... and I recall seeing the tester spit back 65535 when invalid/junk ports were given to it... something I did not see just now checking. I was presuming that there was a misconfiguration in the port number causing the trouble the first time. But this still doesn't help resolve the problem :(

All my ideas I have attempted to put into starting at my post and working from one end of your setup to the other methodically pointing out all places where such interference to open ports may occur.

Indeed, µTorrent does use 65535 as a sentinel value for invalid ports, but it's still a usable port if you manually/correctly select it, nonetheless :P

@Tenac87: If you're not sure how to connect to the modem as jewelisheaven asks you to, visit the default gateway IP address in your browser as listed in the Start > Run > cmd /k ipconfig /all output. Failing that, do specify which modem you're using.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I Did the ipconfig /all in the command prompt and a bunch of stuff came up. Im not to sure what my modem is..Tunnel adapter maybe? If you's want I could take a screenshot of the the command prompt and maybe you guy's could figure it out. Im pretty bad with this kind of stuff.

By default (I think) a wired connection will be "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection" and a wireless will be "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection", to try logging in to your modem look for "Default Gateway" under whatever connection your using and use the numbers as a web address (if it starts with 192). As an example, mine is 192.168.1.1 so the web address for my router is http://192.168.1.1. If that's your "Default Gateway" you can just click on that link.

uTorrent uses port 65535 as the 'indeterminate' port when a seed or peer connects to you.

Sometimes peers and seeds are reported as being on this port in the torrent peer list, but these ips are essentially never connectible. Were an ip actually USING port 65535, I'm not sure that uTorrent would actually try that port...since it's told that number means 'indeterminate' port.

Please give it a test. :)

Archived